Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
According to this site: http://www.auterraweb.com/aboutcan.html

The first year IS to have a CAN bus was 2006, which was in the 250 and 350.

My question is that does the 2001-2005 IS have multiple ECU's and if so how do they communicate (i.e. proprietary, ad-hoc)?

Thank you.
Sort of. Those years use a resistance measure on the brake bulbs and headlights. Why are you asking?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sort of. Those years use a resistance measure on the brake bulbs and headlights. Why are you asking?
I'm trying to determine which scanner tool and/or diagnostic tool(s) I should purchase. As of now I simply have to read an engine light (my ebay ELM327 scanner failed), and am considering a Autel MD802. However it is only a reader (and logger I think), no bi-direction. So for another few hundered I can get the Autel MaxiDAS 708 which is bi-directional. However, if Techstream can suffice in it's place, then for a $70 VCI J2534 cable and a slight laptop upgrade I can go that route, though I'm not sure how much tuning I can do with Techstream down the road, and still have to do a comprehensive comparison to see if Techstream can do at least what the Autel can (no point in wasting hundreds).

I do have another car with a CAN bus and a steering angle sensor, which is at 125k and ready for some diagnostics and testing as well, so I can get some mileage out of the Autel.

Also, picoauto has some pretty nifty diagnosis tools, but I would need to get the cheaper Autel if I'm to work any of their gear into the budget.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You cant do an "tuning" on the factory ECU so it doesnt matter what you try there. Techstream will allow you to change a few of the options around in the ECU (e.g. interior light time, central locking, etc.) and read telemetry, but you cant adjust anything performance related. I know some guys get the bluetooth dongles to work with Torque on their phones for getting codes and telemetry, but i havent tried it as techstream was enough for me to get the codes i had at the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You cant do an "tuning" on the factory ECU so it doesnt matter what you try there. Techstream will allow you to change a few of the options around in the ECU (e.g. interior light time, central locking, etc.) and read telemetry, but you cant adjust anything performance related. I know some guys get the bluetooth dongles to work with Torque on their phones for getting codes and telemetry, but i havent tried it as techstream was enough for me to get the codes i had at the time.
So no adjusting fuel injector trim on stock ECU either?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Torque (Pro, 4.99 why not), however my generic ELM327 bluetooth adapter stopped working after upgrading Torque (also stopped working after upgrading ODB Auto Doctor coincidentally). However, a quality bluetooth adapter is like 50-100, so I figured to maybe just get an Autel MD802 hand scanner for 180 but after some thorough research I'm not liking the 1-year of free upgrades (esp as being advertised as lifetime) - bestodbscanners.com has some helpful reviews.

However, my old ASUS TF701 that I scored from ebay for 125 a few years ago couldn't get a data-link to my pc preventing an Android update to 7 (highest "aftermarket" rom available) from 4 (Google Play Services keeps crashing, too old), but since a new 3.00 cable apparently fixed the issue I can update tablet and use Torque again (either with an ODBLink MX, since it's the same company that AllData uses as it's official adapter, though theirs is a bit proprietary, or a BlueDriver).

I'm really glad I didn't splurge as much as I wanted to play with one of those Autels so thanks!

Oh and btw if you happen to know a moderater, I monitored this page for a few days looking for either an red "dot" indicator up top on my profile icon to notify me of a reply, or just scrolling down and viewing the open page (kept sleeping my laptop so session was still live, didn't log me out). Either way I never saw the new messages until manually reloading the thread/page. Other than that this new site is super slick, best looking form I've seen so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We do not have canbus on our first gen IS like the more modern cars have.
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

You have quite a few posts so in case you know a moderator I'm figuring to mention to you as well that I monitored this page for a few days looking for either an red "dot" indicator up top on my profile icon to notify me of a reply, or just scrolling down and viewing the open page (kept sleeping my laptop so session was still live, didn't log me out). Either way I never saw the new messages until manually reloading the thread/page. Other than that this new site is super slick, best looking form I've seen so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts