Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an '01 IS300 local to me and he is asking $16,990. It has 23k miles and it is in perfect conditon visually. I haven't had an inspection done yet, but I will. Does his price seem a little high?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
^ if that seems to high for you then i sugguest getting a different car! thats pretty low milage for a 01' and for that price... ya can't go wrong. jus get everything checked out... paint condition, engine, etc. salvage title or not... thou i'd say it depends on what type of damage it had and how good the repair was... major front end, etc?
in the end its up to you :)
good luck.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I think that is it high. Not sure what a current value of a 01 IS at this point is. But just by being Salvage, I would say that car looses on it's value easily by $7000 if not more. So I say it's way too high for a Salvaged 01 IS300, even with that low milage. Tell the guy $13,000.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The seller is smoking crack. You can pick up a clean '01 with a straight title for that price. Walk away. I wouldn't even waste $10K on a salvage titled car. They're almost impossible to sell. Salvage title cars go for half what a normal version of the same car would go for. Don't be the sucker that the seller has been waiting for. You'll only be supporting his crack habit.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Doesn't matter how many miles are on a salvage. It's been salvaged. You can get a good condition NON-SALVAGE 01 for that price.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I've seen some salvaged IS's go for ALOT less than that; that's why I am second guessing. I will have to talk to him and see how negotiable he is on the price. As for resale, this car will most likely be kept for a long time so it's going to loose alot of it's value one way or another. If I can hagle the price down, I am going to have it checked by the Lexus dealer. He has reports, receipts, documents, etc on what all happened and what was reapaired. I will definately get down to every detail and aspect. I think anyhitng under $15k would be fair (to me atleast).

Hey Flatline, how about $17.5k with those Zenetti wheels? :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I understand you plan to keep it, but what happens if a year from now you get in a jam and need to sell your car, or worse yet, it gets hit and totalled. A year from now that car will be worth $8-9K. Are you prepared to take a $6-7K hit in one year? To me, the low mileage isn't that big of a factor because Lexus reliability is so outstanding. I feel like my IS with 62K on it is barely broken in. I sold my SC400 with 250K miles on it, and it still ran great. The only unsceduled maintenance I ever did was the alternator and power steering pump. So, if you can get a clean, non-salvage IS for close to the same price, that would be the wisest decision. You came on here to ask us for a reason - probably because you have doubts of your own or because you know that people here (for the most part) really help each other out. You made a good call. And because I'd hate to see a fellow (or future) IS'er get burned on a bad deal, I say make the right call again and walk away from that salvage, unless you can get it for $11K or less. Besides, I haven't even begun to ramble about the types of crap you have to deal with on salvage cars - like factory warranty is null and void, they're commonly rebuilt with non-oem parts, most often none of the airbags that deployed are replaced, HID's are retrofitted with cheap aftermarket crap, panels are repainted without pulling glass or weatherstripping so the clearcoat starts to flake in a few years, etc....

Remember also, that you may get receipts for the work that was done, but there are no receipts for work that was left undone.

·
Registered
796 Posts
wrecked, no warranty, high price.............definitely back away now!

-The Old Fool

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
mkell said:
Yea, I've seen some salvaged IS's go for ALOT less than that; that's why I am second guessing. I will have to talk to him and see how negotiable he is on the price. As for resale, this car will most likely be kept for a long time so it's going to loose alot of it's value one way or another. If I can hagle the price down, I am going to have it checked by the Lexus dealer. He has reports, receipts, documents, etc on what all happened and what was reapaired. I will definately get down to every detail and aspect. I think anyhitng under $15k would be fair (to me atleast).

Hey Flatline, how about $17.5k with those Zenetti wheels? :)

I think we might be able to do something. PM me or call me for more details. (818) 326-3528.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
HIGH!!! i bought my 2003 is300 with only 15,000 miles on it for $16,500. considering i have half the miles and a later model.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thiscrazypinoy said:
HIGH!!! i bought my 2003 is300 with only 15,000 miles on it for $16,500. considering i have half the miles and a later model.
Holy crap! That has got to be the best deal I have EVER seen.

Flatline, you have PM.

·
Registered
678 Posts
thiscrazypinoy said:
yeah that is pretty f-ing amazing, I got mine an 01' 17.7k 42k miles, and I thought that was a good ass deal, mine was in immaculate condition. I'm jealous, but I'm still happy. :confused:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
tpc_01 said:
yeah that is pretty f-ing amazing, I got mine an 01' 17.7k 42k miles, and I thought that was a good ass deal, mine was in immaculate condition. I'm jealous, but I'm still happy. :confused:
-i got the better deal :p, my car still has a problem that came to my attention after i had it serviced. The aircon line hose is broken and needs to be replaced due to the crash that the previous owner had, but wasn't fixed. So when i go back to the states during x-mas, even though i don't need aircon then the total cost will be at about 17,???

-it also helps if the person trying to sell it is desperate

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think that is too high for a salvaged.

Besides you are most likely stuck with it once you buy it. I dunno, I almost bought a salvage but a friend that owns a shop said to stay away. It could be a headache down the road. You'll never know really....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
lexyis300 said:
I think that is too high for a salvaged.

Besides you are most likely stuck with it once you buy it. I dunno, I almost bought a salvage but a friend that owns a shop said to stay away. It could be a headache down the road. You'll never know really....
i can be a headache, or it can be one hell of a deal, its a gamble and a must to check out the car in person and have it inspected before you buy it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ballaholic925 said:
wayy too much for a salvage title..you can get a clean with 50k for that price..much better deal imo
or he can go for a later model salvaged, another way to look at it. But if u really feel that you want to go this route to save a lot of money be prepared to do a lot of work to make sure that he isn't selling you something that will fall apart, down to the the thred wear on the screws. Maybe not that extreme but you get my point.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts