Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
got my door panel off today because of a corroded crimp connection on my speaker. this is what my door looks like:

didnt get too wild with the dampening, dont want to get too much weight in it. just enough to give the speaker some kind of a solid housing.

the amp and the dsp are in the back where the navigation used to sit.

🍻

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Time for some maintenence before boost comes in.

replaced belts, crank seal, cam seals, valve cover seals and valve stem seals.

took off the valve covers for the first time and i was surprised how clean it was!

cleaned it up a bit more

valve stem seals old vs. new. should burn a lot less oil now! :D

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
how did you manage to pull the springs out and replace the seals without removing the head?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
turn the cylinder to bottom dead center, fill it with rope through the spark plug hole, turn the engine so the piston goes up. now the rope gets compressed and holds the valves against the head.
now you can remove springs and retainers without the valves falling into the cylinder.

worked nice in my garage without a compressor (y)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
i was surprised how clean it was!
Man somebody really kept up on maintenance. That looks brand new. Regular oil changes ftw!

worked nice in my garage without a compressor
I trust the rope more than a compressor. I’d rather have something physical in the cylinder holding the valves up, instead of air. I know shops use air but whatever. I really like the toyotool compressor but it won’t work on aftermarket springs (need more leverage than it can give). A Subaru valve spring compressor works great though on aftermarket valves

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
some of my friends had concerns it would potentially damage the valves. not seeing any problems there because you are not pushing against the valve from above, only the springs and retainers, which are sitting on the head!

the only special tool i had was this:

its a tool for compressing the springs when the head is removed which i had laying around. i only used the piece marked blue, pressed down with my hand and removed/insert the small little thingies. the use of magnets is recommended. also put a piece of paper into the oil return holes in the head so they dont fall inside, otherwise you will have to remove your oil pan :D

i also measured my valve clearence and buckets, so i can order shimless buckets for the next time i open it to replace the springs.

🍻

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey guys, didnt update for a while

deleted my center vents for two touch screens. Im controlling them with an arduino which communicates via CAN bus with my MaxxECU
finally i can see all my data and change stuff without carrying around a laptop

you can check it out in instagram:
http://instagr.am/p/CM96LnOHCLG/
I bought this little russian box, which allowed me to get rid of the stock ECU:

AC still working and the best part is, that the fuel gauge works like normal again! even the "low fuel lamp" comes on!
everybody on standalone knows the struggle of being on 1/4 fuel almost all the time :D

relocating the ECU from behind the glove box into the ECU box

some wiring goodies

and some fun stuff:
got my launch control buttons ready:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Things are getting serious now! ive got everything for boosting this thing laying around. i only had to find a nice place where i could do all the mods.
unfortunately my garage is really small so i handled it the balkan way:

started with the intercooler. its the maxpeedingrods 300x600x76mm:

had to raise the AC condenser a little bit and move it to the drivers side. so i modified the lower brackets:

i know, the condenser looks really bad, but a new one wont make the car any faster so it will have to stay as is until next summer

Turbo is coming in!
Its a Borgwarner s364-SXE

got the Altezza RS200 intake which will line up really nice with the compressor inlet and give me that OEM+ look :love:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
got me an JDM GTE Aristo intake. its drive by wire so i can keep my cruise control working!

just have to make this thing fit! I dont really like the GE-GTE lower runner adapter plates, as the intake sits really weird on them.
so i decided to do some frankensteining:

As you can see the outer 2 runners are really off. will have to lay in pretty much filler rod and grind this thing in shape. at least i will end up having runners with proper length and angle!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I got some Siemens Deka 865cc Injectors for really cheap. unfortunately they are for 14mm fuel rail. so I machined them down to 11mm to fit the stock rail.
just put in 2 O-rings because they have wider grooves

stock DEKA injector vs stock IS300 OBD2 injector:

DEKA machined to 11mm vs IS300 OBD2 injectors:

finished DEKA injector vs OBD1 330cc injector out of a NA supra:

some BOSCH EV1 connectors and everything is ready. dont forget, im running the OBD1 lower runners! (see above)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got a chinese oil filter relocation kit and some teflon -10 hoses. oil cooler will follow.

Because im ditching the oil filter union, i wont have any union bolt. there are some NPT ports on the relocation block, but they should NOT be used for the turbo oil feed!
these ports are not getting filtered oil! we need a port that connects to the inner channel. you could get a dash 10 - NPT T-adapter, but its hard to find here and not really cheap,
so i gotta drill some holes and cut some threads.
also you can see how small the outer channel of that chinese relocation block was. also opened it up a bit:

had to machine the union bolt in order to mount the kit directly to the block:

the remote filter block also needed some love. the outer oil channel was really small and my K-type temp sensor has metric threads, so i made i third port:

temp and pressure sensor in place.
REMEMBER, metric threads have no taper like NPT, they dont seal at the threads, but with O-rings!

everything in place, not the prettiest bracket but nobody will ever see it below the intake manifold and i really want to finish that thing and start it up!
btw, the 2 holes i used to mount the braket are no standard M10, probably some donut standard 😜

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
@marko.dodo sweet fking build. I just read your whole build progress and I will be following it more closely.

Love the idea of the RS200 intake. It looks amazing and I might have to steal that from you.

1 quick question, where and how did you acquire the kw v3 race version with linear springs? From my research, it looks like its progressive coming out of the box.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@marko.dodo sweet fking build. I just read your whole build progress and I will be following it more closely.

Love the idea of the RS200 intake. It looks amazing and I might have to steal that from you.

1 quick question, where and how did you acquire the kw v3 race version with linear springs? From my research, it looks like its progressive coming out of the box.
Thanks,
I like the OEM looks, probably i will have to modify it later for more flow. it has an additional port on the side, maybe ill just put a larger pipe there and to the engine. the port diameter to engine is 3"

here is the part number from my box, but if i search it on google i can only find the progressive ones:

352 57 001

two years ago when I called them to order they told me there is the V3 sport variant with linear springs and i took it, maybe you have to contact them.
i wouldnt buy them anyway if i wouldnt live in germany. the only reason was that they have a TÜV certificate and i can ship them for servicing...
otherwise i would have chosen the fortune autos!
the kw are 9/8k. i bought stiffer springs 10/9k but the dampers were maxed out, so i put the 9/8ks back.
i asked KW to modify the front dampers to remote reservoir, because the wheels are hitting the reservoirs if you have an angle kit, they didnt want to and tried to sell me the clubsport variant... not really amazed by the customer service. fortune auto on the other hand will do everything you want...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Been enjoying the build, I have lots of questions but I’ll limit to one: where did you get a turbo manifold that says “dodo”? Custom casting?

props on everything you’ve customized like the seat brackets, hemholtz exhaust, display, etc. it’s got to be one of the most owner-custom detailed IS300’s I’ve seen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Been enjoying the build, I have lots of questions but I’ll limit to one: where did you get a turbo manifold that says “dodo”? Custom casting?

props on everything you’ve customized like the seat brackets, hemholtz exhaust, display, etc. it’s got to be one of the most owner-custom detailed IS300’s I’ve seen.
Thanks!
Actually I'm going to sell them! Didnt want to advertise as I never read the forum rules 😁

Follow me on instagram if interested. Currently also working on aluminium cast GE-GTE runners.

🍻

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Actually I'm going to sell them! Didnt want to advertise as I never read the forum rules 😁
I knew it, I knew I didn’t recognize that mani! Haha, you are crazy-genius sir! I’m not sure on rules and selling as a manufacturer either. I think you need to be a forum sponsor, but not sure. I don’t want to stir any trouble and since you answered my question, I’ll end it with that.

🍻

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd definitely be interested in the cast GE-GTE runners if those will be for sale and the manifold. Cant wait to see everything when its finished.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts