Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..what's up with these Doc Fees? I leased a RX350 and a IS350 last year and probably paid the fee in my lease. I just recently bought a Neiman Marcus IS-F and called my dealer today cause I was going to give them a check for the full amount I owe, minus the $5 grand deposit. They said that a $599.00 Doc Fee is part of the invoice. I'm bringing them a check, but finally did some research on this fee through Edmunds and the following explanation explained it to me more thourghly. Another words..I'm being screwed. My dealer is in Las Vegas and wondering if anyone else pays this outragous addition.

(Edmunds.Com)
Doc fees: In states where doc fees are not regulated by the government a dealership will often sell a car at a very attractive price but then hit the buyer with a $399 doc fee when the contract is drawn up. If you refer to our chart, and see that doc fees are not capped in your state, you should find out early on in the buying process what the dealership charges. If it is high — anything over $100 — you will need to negotiate more aggressively to offset this price.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
I'd tell them to show you an invoice proving their cost then tell them you'll pay that. They have no right to make money on you for transferring a fee to you.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The fees are $300 or so at most places in Utah. I've paid three of them so far. The guy that I bought my IS from ran a small lot and only charged me about $30 I think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As a former salesperson for toyota, I can tell you what fee's you will see on an actual invoice.

Delivery, processing and Handling. Most cars is about $500 something. This is the shipping charge from Toyota/Lexus and is legit. It should match the same figure at the bottom of the window sticker. Its not considered to be part of the base price of the automobile

TDA (LDA?) stands for Toyota Dealer Advertising. Its a preset amount per vehicle that is used to pay for the national ad's and is mostly legit.

Dealer Holdback, basically its a overhead offset based on 3% of what the dealer cost on the car is. Since most dealers don't have their own money tied up in the lot inventory, this is supposed to offset the cost of having an inventory and give them an average of 3 months to sell. Most dealerships won't touch this to earn your business, at least the ones that I am familiar with on the east coast don't normally negotiate this holdback. This is also paid to the dealer quarterly.

Wholesale Financial reserve is the money that Toyota charges per car to be able to offer incentive programs such as $1 000 cash back or special 3.9% financing or whatever. Its just charged to all vehicles so it doesn't effect the bottom line.

Fee's that you can expect to see that you will want to fight as best you can. Processing fee's or document fee's. In some states its mandated that any fee of this nature must be posted and CONSISTENT from customer to customer. That doesn't mean that its isn't negotiable. They can lower the selling price to offset it and although you are still "paying" it your out the door total can remain the same. I do not personally know how well the IS-F's are selling so I really cannot say if supply and demand are in your favor. Just that Toyota as a whole was down 3% in January and 6% in February. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
On my new IS the fee was $449. It's actually pre-printed on the Purchase Agreement. If you negotiate your price "T/T OTD" (includes taxes and tags, out-the-door) then your price should not change. That way you are negotiating the final full price, and they have to adjust the numbers to get to your OTD price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts