Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever think twice if you buying a IS300 was the right choice?
Do you ever think, what if i bought me the bimmer instead? or what if i bought me the cl type s instead?
Bimmer being more of the popular car and i still think they look way nicer than the is300, and the CL type S being way more powerful and a better buy w/ what it comes with. I was just wondering if there are anybody out there feeling the same way I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Only when seeing an Audi S4, New M3, or the thought of a future IS300 with more power.

Also, if you don't _really_ need the auto-trans, I would wait for the 5-speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
I'm waiting to see the new 5-spd IS300, the new A4 coupe and sedan (yup, the new A4 coupe is coming out beginning of 2002 and the sedan will be out spring 2001), the C-class coupe from Mercedes, and also the new Acura Integra...

-Chris Y.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Yeah, I'm guilty of having doubts sometimes.

I was in Honolulu this past weekend and saw a tricked-out A4; body kit, rear wing, 18", exhaust, dropped. It was just a clean car all around. Then yesterday at my workplace I saw a clean stock looking 328i. The car seems so well put together.

It didn't help when I read the recent Car and Driver (I think it was that magazine) at lunchtime and it put the Audi and Bimmer ahead of the IS. The IS was third ahead of the Benz and Saab, and Volvo.

But, when I got back into my car and started e-shifting and enjoying th 6 disc changer, it all came back. You know, that feeling of satisfaction that you bought the right car.

Note: There are a lot of 3 Bimmers in my area, but very few IS300s.

At the end of the day, I was sitting in traffic and some guy in a delivery van yelled over the traffic noise and said "nice car."

I did the right thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Nope, its the only car I've never had doubts about. love my car and the tuning prospects of the platform. Its a great everyday reliable car. If I like another car.. I'll just buy a second or a third. I'm thinkin' about a S4 Avant as a playmate for my IS. Sold my S2K... easy come easy go.

[This message has been edited by Black300 (edited December 19, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
all you need to do is drive around and pick on a A4 or BMW 325/323 or if you're in the mood for rice,pick on a Civic or Accord V6, and then the happiness will all come back.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,901 Posts
I actually put a down payment on a BMW 3-series back in June. This was before I had seen the IS. I was in the supermarket checking out magazines. There it was on the cover of a car magazine. I cancelled my BMW that day. Less than 2 weeks later I was in My Spectra Mica Blue IS. I haven't looked back since.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,062 Posts
Very briefly...about once a month...when making the car payment (Hadn't had a car payment in 16 years)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
Nope. I love my IS300! I did however, regret owning my 93 BMW 525i. I loved that car, but it had too many problems. The IS is one of the best cars I've ever owned, and beleive it or not it's still an eye catcher.
I love the performance and the overall package, although, as I mentioned in another post, I might trade it in for a 5 speed supercharged version that would do better on the track. But I have no regrets.

black/ivory
17"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Chris Y,

Where did you get the info on the new A4? Anywhere I can check it out?

Thanks!

[From TEG:
http://www.audiworld.com/news/00/newa4/
]


[This message has been edited by TEG (edited December 19, 2000).]

Thanks TEG but I am looking for info on the NA release timeframe... Spring or Fall?



[This message has been edited by MikeB (edited December 19, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Today, yes. The IS is worthless in the snow. I seem to be able to get around much better with TC off, however. But today I'm missing my old Toyota SR5 4x4... or at least my old Civic both of those cars never even noticed the snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Yeah...every time I make a turn and put my foot on the gas, get no response, and almost get hit. Pretty much every day, in other words.



Originally posted by Eddy:
Do you ever think twice if you buying a IS300 was the right choice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts
Just out of curiousity. Was that Audi yellow? My friend has the yellow tuned one and that was the only one around Ala Moana when I left Honolulu last summer.

Originally posted by Risk3233:
Yeah, I'm guilty of having doubts sometimes.

I was in Honolulu this past weekend and saw a tricked-out A4; body kit, rear wing, 18", exhaust, dropped. It was just a clean car all around. Then yesterday at my workplace I saw a clean stock looking 328i. The car seems so well put together.

It didn't help when I read the recent Car and Driver (I think it was that magazine) at lunchtime and it put the Audi and Bimmer ahead of the IS. The IS was third ahead of the Benz and Saab, and Volvo.

But, when I got back into my car and started e-shifting and enjoying th 6 disc changer, it all came back. You know, that feeling of satisfaction that you bought the right car.

Note: There are a lot of 3 Bimmers in my area, but very few IS300s.

At the end of the day, I was sitting in traffic and some guy in a delivery van yelled over the traffic noise and said "nice car."

I did the right thing.


------------------
K.P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
You try pressing the "TRAC" button (to turn it off)?

Originally posted by ijmis300:
Yeah...every time I make a turn and put my foot on the gas, get no response, and almost get hit. Pretty much every day, in other words.





[This message has been edited by DJ (edited December 20, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I don't regret it at all, of course I haven't actually taken delivery yet.

Warning, the following is a blatant Opinion:

To provide my $.02, everyone at work knows I'm a car nut and so when we go to lunch they let me drive their cars. My favorite rides are the 2000 325 (auto stick) and the 2000 CLtypeS. The BMW is clean and tight has ok power and you can select 1st gear with the autostick! The Acura feels pretty powerful and makes nice sounds but feels big and a little ponderous. The interior seems a little beneath an acura. The seats are like easy chairs, just not sporty.
The IS on the other hand (other than the 1st gear selection) beats the bimmer on price for equivelant options and performance and beats the CL with sporty feel and ,well, seeming more upscale. Now, I think all these cars are great but the IS fills in perfectly between luxury and sport for me.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
22 Participants
hasanazhar
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top