Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Nissan Skyline GTR R35 would come to US? Because there is rumor that it would get a V8 turbo and finally come to the United States. Do you think it would come? If you think it would, when? I think and hope it would come within 2 years.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by Japcarfan:
Do you think Nissan Skyline GTR R35 would come to US? Because there is rumor that it would get a V8 turbo and finally come to the United States. Do you think it would come? If you think it would, when? I think and hope it would come within 2 years.
yo...
wat i heard was dat it was going to come to da US..
but not anymore...
cos nissan is comin out wit da new Z..
so da skyline, which was gonna come out as an Infiniti, is not gonna be sent over to america...

and i heard it wasnt gonna be a V8 anywayz...
i heard it would of had practically da same engine as it does in Japan..

late

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I think that's one of those cars that the people who really want it to come here, can't afford to buy it. I'd love to see them bring the car here, but I can't afford a $50,000 car no matter how great it might be. Same is true for probably 98% of the people who want a Skyline. Am I wrong?
I think there's no market for it here, the Z car will be much more affordable and easier to sell, and they won't bring both.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I doubt it, I heard that the current Skyline engine is specifically made for right hand drive. I'm not to sure how the R35 is...but you can import them in through motorex.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
latest rumor I have heard is that Skyline R35 will have two configuration, one for JDM and one for International (kind of like Camry and Accord). The International version will be left hand drive, powered by a V-8 engine. The engine choice is not yet determine, but I have heard that it will either use the Q45 engine (which I hope not), or the R390 engine detuned from the LeMan version. If latter one is used, then Skyline will be able to easily take on any car that is on the street in the U.S.
And the new Z will have no affect on whether or not Skyline comes here. The reason Nissan has said Skyline may not come is because they want to introduce a new SUV in the infinity line-up, but with the SUV popularity going down (according to Autoweek), I think Nissan may change their mind.
Just cross your finger and hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well if the Z comes back and goes for like 30-40k and the skyline comes for 50, there's gonna be competition between the companies own cars and most people woul dprobably opt to pay the extra 10k for a much more exotic car. i just don't think its that bright of an idea but i sure hope the SUV market is dying down
just my random thoughts

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Wishful thinking, the SUV market won't die unless the oil market crashes a la 70s. Americans love big stuff, big houses, big Macs, big breasts, big cars.
The new Z is supposed to be $25,000+, not mid-30s. So there is room for the Skyline, but with Nissan bleeding money from the throat, don't bet on it.

Originally posted by mrclam:
well if the Z comes back and goes for like 30-40k and the skyline comes for 50, there's gonna be competition between the companies own cars and most people woul dprobably opt to pay the extra 10k for a much more exotic car. i just don't think its that bright of an idea but i sure hope the SUV market is dying down
just my random thoughts

·
Registered
50 Posts
speaking of Skyline...My heart dropped last night.. I was heading to Toys R Us in La Mirada (In southern California) . I went into the parking lot and hit a stop sign. I saw this red car turn out and really wasnt paying attention. Then I looked out and to my surprise it was Skyline GTR R34.. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..I had to do a U-turn and following that thing. It stopped and parked and i had to stop!! haha..Dang.. it was nice.. I like those Brembo brakes and the thin 6 spoke gold polished rims. Funny thing, it had Altima floor mats!! hahaha He is an Operations Manager for the truck division in Torrance and could take it out whenver he liked...He says they have a couple of them there. He asked if I want to go for a spin (I wish I could drive it!!) But we drove around and damn that has to be one of the nicest handling cars I have ever been in.. Ahhhhh...He said the Skyline will never come here because of marketing and sales.. (sheesh, I think they can sell more skylines each year than NSX's). You can still have the GT-T which is about $30,000 in Japan, but who knows.. Oh well... I guess we have to wait.. Damn.. It was nice.. Just at the right place at the right time! hahah

But I still like my IS!!!! hahaa

·
Registered
654 Posts
Daniel's right about the international and JDM versions of the Skyline. From what I heard, it was going to be Nissan's R390 GT1 (I think that's the name) 450HP V8 for international markets, and a twin turbo inline 6 for the home market. The Skyline would be the leader in breaking the "gentleman's agreement" of a 276 HP cap, with it's 400+ R35, with Honda following with a 400+ NSX.

Don't count on seeing the legendary Godzilla in America as a mass produced car however; one of you guys brought up the viable discrepancy of people who like the car and people who have enough dough to buy the car. I don't think the Z is why the Skyline won't come (sub-30k compared to 50k+,) but rather a lack luster sports car market, and strict emissions standards. I don't know if these are the actual reasons, considering that a small company (Motorex) was willing to bet 4 Skylines in crash testing that it could sell, and that it could be adapted for DOT and EPA standards albeit at nearly double the Japanese MSRP. Someone posted a rumor of some college professer in California trying to reverse engineer a LHD Skyline a while back, but haven't heard much lately...

Anyhow, Nissan has been pissing me off with empty promises and cancellations of the Skyline. First it was going to come out with reduced HP; which wasn't okay, but it's a still a Skyline! Then it was going to come out from Infiniti; which makes sense for the price, but not for the luxury. Then they cancelled the Skyline in exchange for a luxury coupe (or so I heard.) Even though the Corvette is a legendary car in America, if you could buy a car at the same price with a history just as rich, with 100 more horses, what the hell is Nissan doing then?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The skyline will break the 280hp mark, but that is because they are planning to build the car outside of Japan.
I was the one who talked about an UCI professor reverse engineering the Skyline. This is what I know so far. The project will start next quarter, which begins in January, and the main goal of the project is not to reverse engineer the Skyline so it can convert to LHD, because that is what this company who is supplying us the skyline do. The goal is to reverse engineer the control system for the AWD and then improve for the aftermarket use.

·
Registered
759 Posts
They converted the Skylines to Left Hand Drive...go to www.motorex.net they have the e-mail address for the company that does it...but I heard it is mad money!

------------------
98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Coming soon: 12 second timeslips with the IS (my new all out drag car!)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
well, there are people out there that treat $100 bill like toilet paper, and those are the people who will be dumb enough to buy those cars. If I was to get a GT-R right now, I'll stick with RHD because the car's performance and integrity maybe tempered by switching it to LHD (especially in this extremely difficult to do car).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah ive heard roomers about that Skyline comming too the U.s. but will be pretty priceee. I think it should still come here I think those rice boys will hit on that car. That Skyline will blow the doors off those rice boys Civics with those 1 foot in diameter exhaust tips!

Peace
Nitro Boy
Age 11

·
Registered
654 Posts
Daniel: Motorex does not do LHD conversions, but the UCI guys are trying to improve Atessa?

If I was going to shell the clams for a LHD Skyline, it would have to be an R34 or R35, not an R32 or R33.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts