Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to an LS430 intro party at my Lexus dealer.

I am definately not in the market or considering that big luxo-cruiser, but I checked it out just for the fun of it.

Here are a few example features you can get in _that_ car, which are NOT available on the IS300:

(some of these features are optional)

1> Laser guided cruise control that maintains a distance between you and the car in front of you.
2> Back seats which have heaters, built in massage units, an icebox, and controls for the A/C & stereo.
3> Mark Levinson stereo with 11 speakers, and a DSP for each speaker to shape the sound.
4> Air suspension that lowers the car at freeway speeds (better wind resistance), and can raise it at slow speeds (more ground clearance.

The approx 3950lb v8 VVTi (320lb/[email protected] torque) LS430 still gets better gas mileage (18/25) than the IS300 and accelerates better (0-60=6.3)

It has a lower coefficient of drag and the same turning radius.

(it looks kinda ugly IMHO)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree that it's not all that attractive. Conservative as the styling of the LS400 is I do think it looks better than the 430.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Yeah TEG, I saw the LS430 at the dealership with the "ULTRA LUXURY" package which costs $14,055 bringing the price to $68,000+. The price is now dangerously close to that of the BMW 740iL, Audi A8, and Mecedes Benz S430, however that price includes features and ameneties unavailable on the BMW and Audi. The LS430 looks funny from the front and like a Toyota Avalon from the rear. In this segment, the aging BMW 7 series is still currently the sales leader. We'll have to wait for the all new 2002 7 series and Audi A8 to see what will happen. Will the LS430 be a sales success? I think it will. Aside from the Bozo the Clown styling, the car has been vastly improved in every area which should help attract new buyers. Your faithful badgehounds will go for the BMW and Merc and your hedonists will go for the LS430. The Hedonists will like the LS430, and they'll like it A LOT....
Eric....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
No. TEG is referring the Ultra Luxury Package that makes the vehicle closer to 70K. Still a relative steal.

Originally posted by Sphincter:
All that for a mere 55-60K!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Delete the lazer--god, traction control is bad enough.

My dad paid invoice for his '91 LS400, $39k (through work fleet guy).

Sounds nice but most of the old dudes that buy them won't appreciate the power or handling while making martininis in the back seat.

Actually, some earlier BMW's did have refrigerated compartments, that is not so new.

I do wish BMW would just hand off its sound systems like Lexus does.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
A friend of my father's cancelled his order for an S 500 (after driving my father's LS 430) and asked if he could be moved up the list to buy an LS 430. You guys should go drive this car. It's not too bad as a driver. I haven't test driven the sports tuned suspension, however, just the air.
I don't know about y'all but I think laser cruise control would RULE on crowded interstates, especially here in Texas on trips.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited October 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by brad:

I don't know about y'all but I think laser cruise control would RULE on crowded interstates, especially here in Texas on trips.
I'm with you Brad.... In another several years a lot more cars will be using this system. It's no money wasting gimmick...
Eric...

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I saw one on the road today going to work, Silver... While still lacking a little in style (like the Avalon), it's much better looking than the last generation. But there is no better looking large sedan IMO than the new S-Class. Even so, the LS430 looks pretty nice and I think it's a great improvement.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Here is a question, why is Lexus able to sell a loaded LS430 lower than a basic S430 and 740i? This is not the same case as the IS300 and 3 series where you can argue three series has more options. This time you are talking about a car that is fully loaded, and probably have more options than either the S and the 7, so why can't MB and BMW get the price low like Lexus and also keep the reliability?

·
Registered
354 Posts
The redesign of the LS430 may not please many of us initially, but somehow the look of the LS seems to "grow on you," doesn't it?
I thought the original LS was a moose, but slowly, as I saw more of them on the road, I began to appreciate the conservative styling. (Let's not forget at whom this car is targeted.)
I bet the new design will do the same thing - get better looking as we see them in action.
Lexus' styling department knows what it's doing.

·
15,322 Posts
at first sight of the RX i thought it was jsut a Rav 4 wrapped in leather and an L but when i had a chance to sit in her and look at it close up, i liked it, and the more i see em the more i like em, i wouldnt mind having one. the LS does look funny to me but i watched the promo video for it and the list of options are worth the price of admission. remember, she might not be a knockout at first sight, but get in her and you might find a gem...beauty that isnt obvious is appreciated even more. saying goes for women and books too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The LS430 is Awesome in BLACK on BLACK!!!
The Ugliness of the Front End is Lost in the Black.
While having wife's car serviced the other day I got to see a dealer drive the First Sold 430 (Black, Top Of Line) off the lot delivering to new owner(Upper Exec.) at Nations Bank.
The car was Beautiful IMO.
But everyone is right about the Ugliness of the Lighter Colors. The front grill and lights Look horrible!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like the styling of the new LS430... especially the front end although I guess I should reserve judgment as I've only seen them in commercials so far. Yeah, $68K is starting to push the envelope, but I still think they're a decent value. Maybe the reason I like them (and have always liked the LS400) is because they remind me of a Honda/Acura product. It simply does everything well. It may not be the fastest, best looking, best handling car in it's class, but when you look at how good the overall package is, it's just too hard to pass up! I'd easily take an LS430 over ANY of its competitors.

·
Registered
387 Posts
not everyone like the firm steering feel of MB and BMW. The seats on German cars are firmer and the design are more squared (inside). With all the features in the world you can think of in a car packaged together, i think 70K is a steal compare to 7 series and s class.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like what they've done to the LS! Love the front and side. The rear could be so much better though. I also like how they've put an actual chrome "L" on the steering wheels on the new GS and LS models. I guess our IS' have an emblem also, but it's the same color as the dash trim (dark metallic gray). The wood/leather steering wheel also looks good.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The lease is almost up on my dads A8 and he's looking at the LS430. What would you suggest buy a new A8 or the LS430?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
If your father is in the market now, then I'd ask him to go for the LS430 because the ALL NEW Audi A8 is about a year and a half or so away...The current A8 is towards the latter part of its production cycle..
Eric....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
16 Participants
EricK
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing