Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to whom have a radar and mount on the windshield. do you guys take it off when you on a really hot day (like temp. 80+ degrees)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Passport 8500, I take it down and put it int the arm rest. I also put up sun reflectors, because it gets really hot down here in FLA

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just got a ticket 90 in a 55 zone.. and i still haven't gone to court yet.. dug up an old cobra detector and i use that.. it's funny as hell to go through a parking lot near a shopping center and it goes off like crazy.. it is a crappy radar detector but it's better than nothin..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a new v-1...i live in orlando and now i dont drive my car for days at a time...but im too lazy to take it down

·
Registered
52 Posts
What kind is that Justin? Looks sweet, does it work well? I have whatever the best was that Cobra made a couple of years ago. Detects 9 kinds of radar + laser. It really sux balls but has saved me a few times so I suppose it was worth the $190. I don't ever take mine down but it usually falls off by itself during hot days and long durations in the sun...

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
Zabyss said:
What kind is that Justin? Looks sweet, does it work well? I have whatever the best was that Cobra made a couple of years ago. Detects 9 kinds of radar + laser. It really sux balls but has saved me a few times so I suppose it was worth the $190. I don't ever take mine down but it usually falls off by itself during hot days and long durations in the sun...
It works great because I have a big radar mounted in my front grill rather than a little compact onein the detector itself.

I bought it from Lisnup a while back he has the same one in his car.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I never take mine down unless I'm out of town and parking outside over night. Never had a problem with one over the last 20 years or so. Had one stolen out of a rental car back n the 80's. That's why I take em out at night. But, hey no problem taking it off whenever you park with the quick remove mounts they have.

Like if you're out driving all day in the summer, it's going to get pretty hot on that detector anyway.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
I mounted my V1 up real high RIGHT under the blacked out part of the windshield near the left side of the rr vue Mirror... for a couple reasons

1. I wanted to hard wire it & the closer to the roof liner the better for that.

2. I wanted to keep it semi-unobtrusive so John Law doesn't just fuk with
me cuz he saw it... or hassle me more if i get popped & THEN he sees
it... :roll:

3. that blacked out Windshield part protects it from direct sunlight &
some what from the heat.

4. the Higher the better.. range & detection are measureably better the
higher it sits in the car....

I do pull it if i am parking for a long time in a public place &/or leave the windows or Roof cracked for ventilation...no need to tempt some junkie asshole from busting my window to smash & grab my freakin V1

edG

·
8,880 Posts
Sorry, I don't own a RADAR. :lol:
I do however own a radar detector.

Got to love V1's Magnesium Case. 8) :lol: That feature rarely gets mentioned by those review people. I never remove mine.

My V1 spent 6 years on the windshield and still looks new!

On this car, it is mounted under the rearview mirror, drawing power from the compass.

·
Registered
29,505 Posts
I had one when I lived in Phoenix, and I never took it down unless I was going on a road trip in another car. It has been left up there in temperatures in excess of 110 degrees. It still worked like a champ.

The reason I no longer have it? I accidentally pulled the power cord out one day, and after opening it to repair it, actually the wife opened, I was driving, I fucked it up more. Parts flew all over my car. Probably should have pulled over first, but I was in a hurry. It was the NFC Championship game.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts