Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I personally don't wax that part. If you want to, it will give the cf part more shine. My cf insert cracked to I'm thinking about painting it over or buying a new cf insert ($180 @RMM so be careful w/yours).

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
fsusucks said:
The good thing is I got lucky and found a brand new replacement for $100 from another .net member.
So you're the one that bought it before me :pissed: j/k. I drove my car last winter and I think I hit a chuck of ice that was on the road.

The quaility of the CF splitter is good but people (like me) accidentally hit things while driving. If I see another used one on here, I might replace it. Other wise, I'll just paint over it next spring ,along with my entire front bumper.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Well part of it is that it's not CF, it's fiberglass with a single layer of CF over the top side only (or maybe it's a sticker?).

It's still basically as brittle as fiberglass. Just don't be hittin' stuff with it. =)

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
I personlly would recommend wax, and treating as if it's your body panel. Since the CF part are clear coated, like all the other panels, why not?

·
Registered
229 Posts
i wonder if theres a way to repair a crack..

i cracked mine also.. hitting a parking block :-(

in any case, its only the clear part covering the CF that is cracked.. the CF itslef is not damaged.. I wonder if theres anything u can use to fill it in? any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
gc43 said:
i wonder if theres a way to repair a crack..

i cracked mine also.. hitting a parking block :-(

in any case, its only the clear part covering the CF that is cracked.. the CF itslef is not damaged.. I wonder if theres anything u can use to fill it in? any ideas?
wouldn't waste your time and money in trying. A roll of carbon fiber is usually like the cost of a new insert. Add to this the repair of the fiberglass, then clear coat it, you're looking over and above the cost of a new insert.

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
Hey what happened to you guys on my other post??? I was thinking of molding a new splitter and making it cheaper. OH well, I got to get some other stuff done anyway.

BTW, Carbon Fiber is more brittle than Fiberglass. It has a higher tensile strength and is therefore more 'hardened" or brittle. But it also has to do with the resin used and its elasticity. Carbon fiber is very weak along flat sections and thus the fiberglass serves as reinforcement.

I imagine waxing would shine it up, but mine got pitted with snow and gravel etc. from all that driving. :(

Fig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.