Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think it makes a difference that the IS300 is made in the Toyota facility instead of the primary LEXUS facility where the other Lexus models are manufactured? Possibly the reason for some of the quality issues (rattles and so forth)...?
Eric....

·
Registered
98 Posts
no, toyota quality IS lexus quality, the only difference is the accessories(wood trim etc. and service quality, the is300 will outlast/out do both of your other vehicles as far as quality. hands down , no questions asked.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by pierceman:
no, toyota quality IS lexus quality, the only difference is the accessories(wood trim etc. and service quality, the is300 will outlast/out do both of your other vehicles as far as quality. hands down , no questions asked.

Ouch.... As a former GS400 owner I can vouch that Lexus sets the standard in quality and reliablity. I was simply just asking whether it made a difference as to which facility at which the IS was built. Well maybe the only difference between Lexus and Toyota is just a nameplate and more luxurious features in that case....Relax.. Geez...
Eric....

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
the is300 will outlast/out do both of your other vehicles as far as quality. hands down , no questions asked.
You are clearly a fool. What planet are you from saying and Audi and a Benz are lesser quality that an IS. Put the paint chips down sparky.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I asked anyways was because I never had those "rattles" etc. in the GS400 I had....
Eric....

The IS300 was a Toyota to begin with (Altezza) which debuted in 1998 and not a Lexus like the GS, LS, SC (exception ES based on camry).

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: EricK ]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I see from your 104 posts that you don't know the respected members of this board. Eric is one of them. I'm sure he didn't mean anything insulting by his question.

Your IS300 outlasting any vehicle on the road is still questionable.

Mario.

·
Registered
551 Posts
All Lexus cars are Toyota to start with. There is no Lexus in Japan.
The IS300 was a Toyota to begin with (Altezza) which debuted in 1998 and not a Lexus like the GS, LS, SC (exception ES based on camry).

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by lexluger:
All Lexus cars are Toyota to start with. There is no Lexus in Japan.
Yeah I know that but what I mean is that the IS was designed as a Toyota to begin with, hence it's made in the same facility as the Toyota Altezza.... The LS430, GS, SC although are Toyotas in Japan are made in the Lexus facility....
Eric...

·
Registered
10 Posts
There will be lexus in Japan. Toyota has at lasts agreed with Lexus that they need to use the lexus brand in the home market to ovid problems like "its just a toyota". Keep your eyes on models for the next 2 years and note how the window glass will no longer say toyota
The 2002 IS 300 might already have that chang, not sure. Also, they will get away from making any TRD parts for lexus when this takes place, and will all be L-Tune. Lexus is the closest threat to Benz and BMW, and they need to make this move for thier brand.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: TexLexIS ]

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
lexus scored #1 in JD powers reliability, least problems, study. mercedes and audi were around #10 i think, so i don't even see how the comparison could be made, the lex will most certainly be of better quality and have less issues than the other 2 vehicles.

Originally posted by texcon:
You are clearly a fool. What planet are you from saying and Audi and a Benz are lesser quality that an IS. Put the paint chips down sparky.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
sup erick, doubtful, toyota has a very good rating on the study as well, the only thing that beat them, is infiniti and porsche. i like the fact that it is a toyota, and is made next to other toyotas.

Originally posted by EricK:
Do you guys think it makes a difference that the IS300 is made in the Toyota facility instead of the primary LEXUS facility where the other Lexus models are manufactured? Possibly the reason for some of the quality issues (rattles and so forth)...?
Eric....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The glass in the IS says Lexus. The brake lights on the trunk say Toyota

I could care less, as long as it continues to purrr and Lexus continues to maintain their ratings for customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
The reason I asked anyways was because I never had those "rattles" etc. in the GS400 I had....
Eric....

You're probably looking at a high-end Toyota (GS) verses a mid-range Toyota (IS)

I recently had a chance to drive a Toyota Echo for a few days (ugly damn thing) It drives quite well (has Toyota quality in it) but does have a few rattles here and there......

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Erick, my dad's GS300 has a little rattle with its wood panels near the center console, did you have these problems before?
Also, I believe part of the rattle may due to the stiffer susspension and chassis. Just imagine bending a copper rod and a steel rod. The steel rod will make noise while the copper rod will not and bend easier.
GS's chassis is much softer compare to IS, and that could explain part of the noises with IS. Of course, if you make the IS out of composite, then this will never happen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
Samirr76
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing