Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Their are prone parts of the current generation IS that will rattle regardless. The plastic trunk liner that is mounted to the chassis brace that seperates the backseat area from the trunk is a known issues. The gas lid is also another. Nothing that some foam weather stripping tape cannot easily cure with a little of your time.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
The gas lid has been a huge reason for rattles in my system. Mind you, i dont have a little shit of a system either. I used to get rattles from my spare tire well itself when the bass would cause the underpart of the car to vibrate. This sound ususally sounds like bumper rattle, but its not.

Since i wasnt running my spare tire, i neatly folded a blanket and placed it in my spare well. Topped it off with foam as insulation between the car and my amp floorboard.

Rattles all gone now....

Also, i forgot to mention, my rear deck is padded with the stuff they use to make comforters. Its a thin pliable plush material that is extemely light. I did the rear panels next to the rear window, behind the back seat, i dynamated near the gas cap, the taillights and the exhaust.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I expected. I know that in some cars that I have heard, the trunk really takes away from the sound quality that the sub produces. I plan on running a 12" JL 12w6v2 and feeding it with about 4-500w rms. So I guess I shouldnt hae any issues.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
mkell said:
That's what I expected. I know that in some cars that I have heard, the trunk really takes away from the sound quality that the sub produces. I plan on running a 12" JL 12w6v2 and feeding it with about 4-500w rms. So I guess I shouldnt hae any issues.
You will still get the rattles. I was playing with different setups back in '01 and even a 8" sub with a 500watt RMS amp was causing issues. I then stripped the car to the shell and sound deadened the shiet out of it. When all was said and done, my 2K watt system did not produce 1 rattle.

·
8,803 Posts
my JL 12w7 + 1000watts mono to it+ 2 Dynamat trunk kits and door kits = no rattles.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
A little bit. Like it was said above, dynamat is your best friend.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I second Split ... um second..

anyway, Dynamat, Dynamat, Dynamat...

I haven't noticed any rattles yet, but my sub has only been playing for a few days... but I intend to dynamat if need be....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i have 2 12" w6s....and the entire car was dynamtted to hell....the ONLY rattle i get now are from my xbox disc drive in the trunk and the gas lid....i weather stripped it and it still rattles.....

theres nothing in the IS that a lil dynamat cant fix...cept for the gas lid

edit....i also dont have a spare anymore....which explains why that has caused me no problems :)

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Ya i had two tens in the back of mine and it rattled pretty bad, used the spray stuff and it didnt do much, then dynamited it and its good now. But after all that i decided to take it out and sell it to my brother for his honda, so i can get a body kit. Worth the trade to me :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it hard to take the panels and everything off to dynamat it? I would like to save money and do it myself. I don't plan on running too much power, so I'm guessing the door panels and trunk is all I would need to do. How many sq ft would be needed?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
No, its not too bad. If you use the search then you will find a step by step removal for every panal (literally) on you car. Set aside four or five hours, a twelve pack and maybe a few good cd's and go to it. Check ebay for the dynamite, i found a guy selling enough to do my whole car for like 100 bucks :) man was i happy, best buy charges that much for like half a trunk kit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts