Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even when it's warm outside I pull the windows down & open the sunroof instead of using the AC. hmmmmm... I wonder whether the drag caused by the open windows + sunroof waste as much gas as having the AC on. I bet I'm the only freak that does this and everyone else on here probably uses their AC, but anyways.....
Eric...

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
Even when it's warm outside I pull the windows down & open the sunroof instead of using the AC. hmmmmm... I wonder whether the drag caused by the open windows + sunroof waste as much gas as having the AC on. I bet I'm the only freak that does this and everyone else on here probably uses their AC, but anyways.....
Eric...
Eric, you don't have an IS right? Cuz if you did, you wouldn't drive with the windows down: Crazy wind noise and cabin pressures even at low speeds...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
really webmaster?
I don't have problem with noise even with windows open.. I think the engine is very quiet

I open my windows sometimes

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by chromaplast:
really webmaster?
I don't have problem with noise even with windows open.. I think the engine is very quiet
Not engine noise or road noise, WIND noise.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by webmaster:
Eric, you don't have an IS right? Cuz if you did, you wouldn't drive with the windows down: Crazy wind noise and cabin pressures even at low speeds...

Yeah Tony, I heard that as well about people afraid to open their windows at speed because they were afraid they would be blown out. I'll have to test drive an IS300 and open the windows and experience this for myself.....

Eric....

·
Registered
162 Posts
EricK,

In most cars, opening all windows and moonroof will definitely cause worse gas milage at cruising speed, than having the a/c on.

Now that I've said that, there are too many variables in the design of the car and air compressability conditions (OAT, humidity, ambient pressure, etc.) to determine what speed this occurs. A quick estimate is >55mph, your loosing milage with the windows open. The amount is pretty insignificant though, unless your doin 80-95.

J

BTW, I'm a a/c fella. . . Not because of gas milage, I just like it quiet. Plus, it's just too damn hot in FL most of the time. Last coupla weeks have been real nice though.
------------------
Perception IS Reality

[This message has been edited by Almost There (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Most of the time I use A/C but sometimes I use windows and sunroof. Sometimes I use both...hehe. I haven't had a problem with the wind noise bouncing back and forth in my cabin though....are ALL your windows down?
cuz i only put down the front windows and sunroof if i need to.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300

·
Registered
635 Posts
I use A/C all the time, since I don't have a moonroof.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have to leave my window down....most of time.. because i have a mirror tint(which is illegal in california....) and i don't know how i'm gonna survive this winter...
in california, it rains a lot during winter time.

------------------
xxsiLveR_iS300xx

·
Registered
343 Posts
I always drive with my windows down.. I only open my sunroof on cloudy days.. I dont need a facial tan.. I hardly use air conditioning.. although, if I had a/c, I'm sure I'd use it
yeah.. a Civic EX coupe with no a/c.. not that I took it out.. I guess when the car was originally sold to someone in Minnesota, they didn't need the a/c..

Actually, what really got me serious about getting an IS300 was the air conditioning.. while you guys were all drooling over the styling, handling, and power.. I was drolling over the a/c and the climate control feature.. sad but true..

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
with the windows all down.... it's like a constant BANGING noise from the wind and stuff. it's pretty bad. but the front windows down only is ok....and sunroof too

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! 80% of you guys so far don't use the A/C but drive with your windows down... Maybe the wind turbulence problem isn't that bad when all four of the windows are down...I drive with my windows down cause I like the open air feeling and the blowing....

Eric....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I drive windows up and A/C (more accurately, climate control) all set to AUTO. I love the quiet or the CD player. The engine purr comes through just fine with the windows shut! And as my wife pointed out, you don't get all that outside dirty air blowing through your interior at high speed. I've seen how dirty an interior can get in just a Summer of open driving, and we're not talking off road conditions!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Half n half for me.
Summer in Tucson... oh yeah... I'm usin' the AC

Winter in Tucson... 65-75 degrees most days... definitely NO AC!!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my new TT roadster do you think I will be able to tell a Significant difference as far as gas milage with the Top up than when it's down or do you think it would make maybe 1-2 MPG difference
Eric....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
In my new TT roadster do you think I will be able to tell a Significant difference as far as gas milage with the Top up than when it's down or do you think it would make maybe 1-2 MPG difference
Eric....
Not sure, but you may be able to get a rough idea on mpg savings from pick-up owners who have removed thier tailgate for an airgate or something.

I think that they do get a significant increase, but I'm not sure how much. . .
Then again, their drag is right on the end of the vehicle, while yours would still be under the slip-stream deflection from the windshield. After saying all that, I guess I'm not too sure, which doesn't really help answer your question

------------------
Perception IS Reality

1 - 20 of 40 Posts