Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating whether or not I need an aftermarket alarm system since the factory alarm system doesn't seem to offer enough protection... Do you all have one? If you do, which system do you have? I am considering the Alpine 8063. Thanks for your help.

·
8,880 Posts
I got one.
I wanted to get a remote start.
I used DEI sidewinder because I had it on my previous car and was familiar with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. I also am thinking of getting the remote starter. Anybody have an Alpine system?

·
Registered
345 Posts
i have the Alpine 8063 with the 8346 radar sensor. The LCD is mounted on the left hand side of the steering wheel where the coin slots use to be. Looks pretty nice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Japan, the Sportcross (Altezza Gita)models have an All-Wheel Drive option. The Sportcross will finally offer the 3.0 engine and they will have AWD with 4AT. They only have the 2.0 liter for the Sedan. The downside is that the AWD models don't come with 5AT. Also, the Japanese 3.0 liter produces 220hp rather than 215hp. I think it is very possible they may offer AWD here in the US....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry. I posted the wrong reply above.I was replying to a different topic at the same time...

jtran - I am also thinking about getting the 8063. Are you pretty happy with it? If you don't mind me asking, do you remember how much you paid for the system installed?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Compustar. Has built in pager, remote start, etc... If I were to get an alarm again I would go back to the Viper. Excellent alarm for the $. That is what I have run in the last 3 cars and what I will go back to running in the future. The Compustar is good, just the remote is tooo bulky.
I would not get the Alpine. My roomate had one and ended up pulling it out and getting a Viper. Falsed all the time, had major issues with it and the factory alarm not getting along. Not to say the Alpine is junk, just my experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had Alpine alarms in the past and have never had any problems with them. Before the Alpines, I started with an Audiovox (junk), then a Kenwood (junk), then a CodeAlarm (junk) then an Alpine 8080. It had the 4 button remote with LCD display (sweet). Wanted the dual range proximity sensor, so I linked an Alpine 8040 to the 8080 and added the 8080 pager. (pager not worth the $$). Together they worked great...unfortunately they are no longer sold. I looked at www.alpine1.com, and it seems that they only have 2 models now. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'll have to agree with ISlover...

I've got an alarm installed on my IS... but opted out of the remote start, although i can add it at any time w/o having to buy another alarm system.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Besides the alarms mentioned, does anyone know of any other alarms that are good for the IS? Will having one installed void the warranty on the car unless its done by a Lexus technician?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts