Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that they're RWD and my Camaro SS doesn't move...I wanted to get one but I'm worried because winters are rough around here.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
"these" meaning the IS? in that case, the answer is yes. you need to buy snow/winter tires for it though. you can't just use the normal stock (usually summer) tires.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use summer tires, you just need to have the perfect technique of balancing your car to prevent it from slipping.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
osmosis said:
I use summer tires, you just need to have the perfect technique of balancing your car to prevent it from slipping.
but for maximum safety, you should be using winter/snow tires. you can't bank on the fact that you know where all the icy patches, etc are, and that you can prevent your car from sliding out. in case anything happens, i doubt insurance is going to be happy that you're using summer tires in the snow. *shrugs shoulders*

btw, i'm not bashing on you personally, osmosis. i just think to recommend using summer tires in the snow, just b/c you can "balance" your car well, isn't the best advice to give...esp when he said winters are rough where he lives...

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
osmosis said:

wow.. you dropped a ton of $$$ on making your ride cool, but didnt invest in $400 snow tires, when you live in NYC.

You must either be an extremely cautious driver , or just plain stupid. Sorry thundercloud.. we do NOT need people telling newb's its ok to drive the IS in snow with summer tires on.. they BARELY do well in heavy downpour.. snow and ice is a different deal altogether.

IwantanIS... if you get decent Snow or All Season tires ( I have continental extreme A/S) on your car, it can go through all but the worst of snow conditions without too much difficulty. Dedicated snow tires like Michelin Alpine's ( i think thats what they call them) are better.. if you are anywhere north of MD/DE , I would suggest dedicated snow tires.

The car does not slip out a lot, esp. if you dont throttle too much (thats what teh SNOW button in the car is for!) and leave your trac control on.

If you are in the snow belt, try and get an AWD car. If you are a good RWD driver, then the IS will do just fine, shod in the right tires.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
amitkc said:
wow.. you dropped a ton of $$$ on making your ride cool, but didnt invest in $400 snow tires, when you live in NYC.

You must either be an extremely cautious driver , or just plain stupid. Sorry thundercloud.. we do NOT need people telling newb's its ok to drive the IS in snow with summer tires on.. they BARELY do well in heavy downpour.. snow and ice is a different deal altogether.

IwantanIS... if you get decent Snow or All Season tires ( I have continental extreme A/S) on your car, it can go through all but the worst of snow conditions without too much difficulty. Dedicated snow tires like Michelin Alpine's ( i think thats what they call them) are better.. if you are anywhere north of MD/DE , I would suggest dedicated snow tires.

The car does not slip out a lot, esp. if you dont throttle too much (thats what teh SNOW button in the car is for!) and leave your trac control on.

If you are in the snow belt, try and get an AWD car. If you are a good RWD driver, then the IS will do just fine, shod in the right tires.
thanks for the info, amitkc! i was definitely NOT recommending anyone use summer tires in the snow, but i also didn't want to "bash" on the newbie. :blush:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I go up to Mammoth and go snowboarding all the time. Cars works great with the snow traction control on. It works even better with snow tires or if your car is not slammed throw some chains on...

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
Agreed.. I was'nt trying to be a d1ck either.. but I lived in MD and saw how the IS handles on summer tires in the snow.. now that I'm in SC, I'm glad I still have the A/S's since they give much better wet road traction than the stock summer tires do.. which I think I will put on during the "winter" here, when it doesnt rain or snow :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts