Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay...so i bought a wald lip kit and i wanted to paint it graphite grey pearl but the paint fom the factory is like 80-100 bucks....so thats how i got this question...would it cost me more to take it to the shop and have them paint it or buy the paint from lexus for a 100 bucks and still have to buy sand paper, primer, and clear coat and paint it myself.....which would cost more???and if i did it myself and didnt buy the paint from lexus what would be the best and most similar paint to match graphit grey pearl??? and yes i did do a search but i want more opinions...

·
Registered
887 Posts
I should say bring it to the body shop and ask them to fit it and paint it.... so if ever it's not to your taste on fitting or color match... you can always send it back to the shop and ask them to fix it!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you do it yourself, fit it first. Then scuff, prep, paint. But painting is a skill. Not everyone can do it. So if you have doubts, just have a shop do it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you never painted a car part before, then let the shop do it. I would never do a first time paint job on a part thats specifically for my car. I would practice on something else beforehand.

In the long run, save yourself the hassle and money and let the job do it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i think by you just asking said enough...... you dont seem to have nearly enough confidence to paint, plus a kit is contain pretty big parts.. id go with a shop....

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I agree with these guys, but I'm gonna throw in that I think you should fit the lip yourself first (i.e. drill any holes you might need to, etc.) then have the shop paint it. It's really easy and will save you some $$ (I don't know if the WALD lip kit needs drilling btw, I'm just throwing that out there. I have an uninstalled replica right now that I haven't had the chance to fit up myself :lol:)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think by you just asking said enough...... you dont seem to have nearly enough confidence to paint, plus a kit is contain pretty big parts.. id go with a shop....
i know how to paint because i did my homies hood and lip kit.....its not that hard....you just sand, primer, paint and clearcoat...doesnt take a genious to paint.....i'm just askin which one would cost me more...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Have you gone yet to a paint store that uses the ppg type paint and got a price yet. Lexus doesn't make their own paint they might sell it but they get it from somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
i know how to paint because i did my homies hood and lip kit.....its not that hard....you just sand, primer, paint and clearcoat...doesnt take a genious to paint.....i'm just askin which one would cost me more...
no need to have an attitude about it.. if you can paint, then is it safe to assume you can count as well? if yes, do the math yourself and figure it out.

kthxbye~

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
do you have a spray gun?........when i read his post i thought he was gonna paint his lip with a paint brush lol

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
do you have a spray gun?........when i read his post i thought he was gonna paint his lip with a paint brush lol
seriously... how is one supposed to answer his question... which is gonna cost more...

well.. it all comes down to how you value your time. if you make $1000/day.. then it wouldn't make too much sense to waste several hours on painting a few body parts.

now if you only make $100 or less a day.. then it may cost you more to take it to a bodyshop....

only the original poster knows the answer to his question. lol so really, its a rhetorical question... lol

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well technically everyone can paint, but it takes a lot of skill and a lot of time preppting to paint correctly.

Well different brands of paint can vary in cost. One brand of paint such as PPG, Dupont, etc mixed in GGP can cost more than the other. Not to mention all the supplies you may be needing. Will be cheaper yourself if you get it all done right the first time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no need to have an attitude about it.. if you can paint, then is it safe to assume you can count as well? if yes, do the math yourself and figure it out.

kthxbye~
naw i'm not giving you attitude...i'm just sayin i can paint thats all...sorry if it sounded like that...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well technically everyone can paint, but it takes a lot of skill and a lot of time preppting to paint correctly.

Well different brands of paint can vary in cost. One brand of paint such as PPG, Dupont, etc mixed in GGP can cost more than the other. Not to mention all the supplies you may be needing. Will be cheaper yourself if you get it all done right the first time.
i know what you mean...me and my friend once spent a day just sanding down his carbon fiber hood by hand because we didnt want the mchine to go too deep and touch the fibers...yup prep is the hardest part of painting....

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Well for my TRD Grill. I got my lexus dealer to paint it for me for about $100.

Perfect colour match with a lifetime warranty.

Find out what kind of warrenty the body shop is offering if you go threw them.

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Try to fit it first. If its too much of a trouble to get it the way you want. Then make your decision then.
After you fit it. And you still want to paint it. Dont go to lexus. Go to a body shop. they get the code off your car door and mix it that way. ;)
Lexus will charge you 20% more than a body shop will.

EDit: Codes will all mix the same

Reactions: hmongis300
1 - 20 of 23 Posts