Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has 70K miles, brand new brakes, and brand new tires. There's no problem with the alignments, but i notice when i hit the breaks down to 30-40 miles, my steering wheel started to shake slightly, just didn't feel right. I know a lot of heads says i'd need new rotors, but how bad do i need to change them and how much would i be looking to spend including installations?

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
you should change them for sure... If they've never been changed in the 70k miles life of the car, they're more than likely worn out and ready to go. Installation is easy, if you can do it yourself, you should. Parts should be around $150 to 200 for the fronts.. and installation should be another $100 to 150 if you do it at a shop.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
At 60k its about time anyways.

Get some new rotors, its a good measure to have your rotors resurfaced if possible when changing pads out. You want a flat on flat contact.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should change them for sure... If they've never been changed in the 70k miles life of the car, they're more than likely worn out and ready to go. Installation is easy, if you can do it yourself, you should. Parts should be around $150 to 200 for the fronts.. and installation should be another $100 to 150 if you do it at a shop.
And what happens if i don't get them replaced? I'm pretty handy, but i'll do a search on DIY just to be safe. Thank you!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 60k its about time anyways.

Get some new rotors, its a good measure to have your rotors resurfaced if possible when changing pads out. You want a flat on flat contact.
Really? i had a GSR and ASpec TL and it's passed 70K miles and i never had to replace the rotors, oh well..

Thank you all..

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
And what happens if i don't get them replaced? I'm pretty handy, but i'll do a search on DIY just to be safe. Thank you!
well, i can't tell you what will happen, but i can tell you that it is much safer to have a flat rotor surface, and the steering vibration you feel will only get worse over time...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Really? i had a GSR and ASpec TL and it's passed 70K miles and i never had to replace the rotors, oh well..

Thank you all..
Its all depending on your driving. All ive own was Evo's/ DSM's So its been a different driving status. Its more along the lines of timeline rather then wear and tear. Its like saying timing belts should be done every 60k. You can last longer. Yet the main concern about the flat contact surface when getting new brake pads and getting the rotors done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
rotors have a minimum width that they need to have, obviously for safety purposes. if they are smaller than this width, then they should be changed. if they aren't, you can get them cut. if you leave them the way they are, braking and steering while braking become inefficient. you will also have a softer pedal feel because the piston has to move the pad a larger distance toward the rotor. basically, it's unsafe.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Its all depending on your driving. All ive own was Evo's/ DSM's So its been a different driving status. Its more along the lines of timeline rather then wear and tear. Its like saying timing belts should be done every 60k. You can last longer. Yet the main concern about the flat contact surface when getting new brake pads and getting the rotors done.
timing belts are 90k bud... on our cars at anyrate. same with water pump.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
timing belts are 90k bud... on our cars at anyrate. same with water pump.
Thats something i didnt know. Yet iam using the 4g63 platform knowlege so thats my fault. This is my first IS and even though i have knowlege on my platform its a learning process for the IS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
just take yyour rotors off, go to pepboys or kragen and have them resurface your rotors. $10 each rotor. I'm at 100,000 miles and just got it resurface. Mine was vibrating really bad similar to yours. good luck. Oh yeah, taking it off is easy. There's two bolts on the caliper. Just remove those to remove your calipers and the rotors comes right off. no actual bolts on rotors.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm at 90K and have never replaced the rotors just the break pads. But I think now its about time for them to be replaced.

Any website selling oem rotors cheap?

·
Registered
512 Posts
just take yyour rotors off, go to pepboys or kragen and have them resurface your rotors. $10 each rotor. I'm at 100,000 miles and just got it resurface. Mine was vibrating really bad similar to yours. good luck. Oh yeah, taking it off is easy. There's two bolts on the caliper. Just remove those to remove your calipers and the rotors comes right off. no actual bolts on rotors.
do all kragens do it or only certain? i might have to go get mine done too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts