Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the sides closest to the ground below the doors it likes like white pieces of junk on the paint, i think they are contaminents from the road that have been thrown up over time. i've tried all cleaners and it wont come off. should i get a clay bar? its roughed up part closest to the ground where side-skirts would go...... :pissed:

·
Registered
128 Posts
definitely try the claybar. After you clay your car, the paint will look and feel like it did when you first bought your car. It'll leave the paint nice and smooth.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i use the claybar on the sideskirts closest to the ground, this part has a texture on the paint, will the claybar work on this, this is the part where most of the contaminents look to be.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Yes a claybar will work on the side skirts with the textured paint.

Here's a hint...if you're wondering when you should clay your car, grab a sandwhich bag and use it as a mit. Run your fingers over the paint of your car. If it feels bumpy and what not, it's time to clay.

Once your done claying, grab the plastic bag and go over the paint again, you'll notice that it is smooooooth. If you still feel bumps, you obviously missed a spot.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx 420,

have you clay-bared your car yet, i think mine is due. my ride is about 2 years old and i have never used the clay bar.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
NP.

Yup...clayed my car a handful of times now. 2 years old and never been clayed? Wow, I think you should detail your car this weekend (wash, clay, wash, polish, wax). Your paint may not look contaminated, but believe me, it is long overdue. You will see the difference once you are done. Post some before and after pics! :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
four20 said:
NP.

Yup...clayed my car a handful of times now. 2 years old and never been clayed? Wow, I think you should detail your car this weekend (wash, clay, wash, polish, wax). Your paint may not look contaminated, but believe me, it is long overdue. You will see the difference once you are done. Post some before and after pics! :D
will post pics asap, getting l-sport rear bumper installed in about a week and then soonafter getting the rest of the kit. Saving to get some 19's too!! I'll post pic's after i get the l-sport rear bumper put on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
four20,

which clay bar did you use, i think they have the meguiar's one at my local auto store. which wax do you think is best also?

Mike

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Mike: I use Griot's clay bar. It works really well and I have no complaints about it. I would assume any other clay bar would work well too like Meguire's clay bar but they didn't carry any at my local auto store so I opted to buy one online at Griot's.

Altezza3456: A clay bar is used (along with a lubricant) to remove pollutants and contaminants that are deposited in your car's paint. It doesn't fill tiny scratches. As a matter of fact, if used improperly, it can cause scratches.

For more information about what proucts are good and how to use certain products visit Autopia's forum dedicated to car care and detailing. You will learn a lot from the pro's over on that board.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
you can use the clay bar almost every where. I used it on my windows, and it cleaned them damn good...

The clay bar works so great, I use it once a week to clean my ass...
:chill:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
xjayx300 v2.5 said:
you can use the clay bar almost every where. I used it on my windows, and it cleaned them damn good...

those damn dingleberries are always causing problems :wink:

·
Registered
941 Posts
ltunedgirl said:
xjayx300 v2.5 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
ltunedgirl said:
xjayx300 v2.5 said:

tell me about...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts