Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. do i have to put down a deposit and get myself on the list to get this car not long after it comes out? How come all the dealers are making it sound like such a big deal whether I deposit or not. someone help me... should i get in line through the dealer? or do you think it'd be ok for me to wait until the car is released... then purchase it from then if i like... also, is the reason for this 'line' because the dealers get the cars in small amounts so they can't sell the car to everyone all at once? if so, how little are they getting at once.. how limited is the spectra blue color.. and the solar yellow.. i heard the solar yellow is only going to be available for the 2001 model of the car. is this true? help with these questions and some other info is appreciated thanx

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Availability depends on where you buy the car and how much volume your dealer does.

Approx 8% of current production is Spectra Blue Mica and 8% for Solar yellow so both colors will be hard to find.

I doubt you will find either color sitting on the lot unsold... The wait list people will probably snap them up.

Maybe if you go to Podunkville Lexus you could find a white one with cloth interior sitting around for a few days.

I think dealers get around 2-15 cars per shipment (depending on how much volume they do), and I think they get a new shipment every week so most big dealers will get through their wait lists in a couple of months. It is yet to be seen how many new people will jump onto the wait lists once these cars are spotted on the road.

·
Registered
978 Posts
TEG,
Of the 8% Spectra Blue IS 300 that are in current production, will they be distributed evenly among the dealerships. I'm #7 or #8 at my dealership and will not settle for any other color. What do you think my chances are of getting it by mid-July?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Spectra, that's when I'm getting mine....mid-July. I'll have a sufficient amount of money for a down payment by then.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Make sure your dealer put in a
"dealer preference request" on
your color choice - then your chances
will increase.

I have no idea how likely it is that your
dealer will get one. I would assume it
is somewhat random other than trying
to fill the "preference" requests.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
By the way - your dealer will probably know
around June 7th what they are going to get
in the first shipment.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TEG, or anyone else, (1) is it true that Solar Yellow is going to be offered only for this year's model? (2) How often does a dealership get a shipment of cars? Also.. (3) TEG, do you think that maybe you are overestimating the sales of this car by a little bit? or are you just saying there will be no blue and yellow lying around. (4) Do you think a car will be 'that' successful at the beginning of its release? Don't you think it requires some time before it starts 'selling out'?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know anything about the shipments coming in to the NYC and Long Island, New York area?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
1> I don't know anything about colors for the 2002 model year.

2> I think that they get cars about once a week.

3> Lexus plans to sell 9000 IS300s this year and 25,000+ next year. Lexus rarely undersells their estimates.

4> Lots of dealers already have big wait lists. I strongly suspect that most dealerships will have no "floor model" IS300s sitting around for at least the first month or two until the initial demand is satisfied.

Trivia> It takes the ship 2 weeks to get from the port in Japan to the port on the west coast (Long Beach).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing