Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have only one key for my 01 IS300. It doesn't lock or unlock my car but it does start it, how do I program it to lock/unlock my car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
a little more info

I have lost the only remaining master remote key to my 02 IS. :( However, I have the credit card key as well as an old valet key. I want to try to buy a key somewhere other than the dealership ($360 incuding programming) but would like to know if I could use the credit card key as a master key and hold it up near the ignition when programming?
The test that the programming instrucitons give says that if you turn the car on with a master key the LED light will go off (and stop flashing) which is excatly what happens when I hold the card up to the ignition.
I'm hoping I can "trick" this into working.
Can anyone verify or deny this will work?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know,

I only received 1 master key with my car, i bought 2 key shells from ebay for 10 bucks, my cousin who works at a lexus dealership has a box full of old keys, he gave me 3 with the intetion to use the transponder to work with my 02 is300, i got the keys cut, put the transponders in, and went on to the programming steps on page 1.

so after trying for 15 minutes the first key didnt work? i was sure i was doing it right, so i tried the other key, and it worked the first time!!

so after closely inspecting the transponder that did not work, and comparing it to the one that did, and the one that came with the car, i saw it looked different, i dont know what lexus it came out of, but chances are it wasnt an is300

i have 2 of the different looking transponders and will be trying out the other one to see if it works, if it does, then its the transponder that was bad, if it doesnt work, then it has to look like the original

i will post pics of the transponders i have!

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
BTW, 01 IS programmable. I bought 2 keys and programmed them for my sister as hers only came with one master key. I didn't have to reset any ECU either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This thread was super helpful...i'm pretty amazed. I bought a used 02 IS300 about 2 weeks ago, and it only came with a valet key. Found a $70 remote key on ebay with a new shell and used transponder, cut it for $20 at this hole in the wall locksmith, and then programmed it myself following the directions in the pdf. I used confirmation mode to check how many keys were registered (just out of curiosity), then used prohibition mode to delete them and disable wireless, then used add mode to add the newly cut remote key. To program the immobilizer, i just followed the directions posted by black86...worked perfectly. So yes, you can still add keys without a master key (the one with a remote). Thanks everyone! If anyone lives in socal and needs a key, i can point you to that really cheap locksmith. Also, chicotunner07's pictures helped a lot, turns out the clear transponder in the middle belongs to the RX and the one on the right I think is for the ES.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How to tell if my IS300 has LSD?
Look at the sticker on your driver door sill/jamb, look for the area that reads "A/TM"
You'll see numbers such as B02A, B02B, B02C
A=no LSD
B,C = LSD
for my car it says A/TM B01B. is there a difference between 01 and 02? since according to what you said, B means i have a LSD

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just ordered a replacement master key/remote fob from Sewell Lexus Parts online. They offer free cutting service (provided you have proof of ownership and a drivers license). It's brand new, OEM, warrantied by Lexus and $154 shipped to my door, and all I have to do is program it with the instructions provided (or follow the great write ups here on my.is).

Just thought I would share... FYI and comparatively speaking, the local rates here in South Florida are as follows:

Lexus/Toyota stealership prices:
- $250 for a replacement master key/remote fob and cutting service
- $109 to program
- Lexus will NOT cut any other key than their own... In other words, if you don't buy it from them and get it cut at their specific dealership they will NOT cut a key off the street for you.

Locksmith averages:
- $120 for cutting
- $150 for master key/remote fob (not even OEM!!!)
- $20 to program or do it yourself

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm trying to reprogram this aftermarket key I got when I bought the car.....
Only 1 works...The other one I'll try right now.....

"You know you have lsd, because when you leave a 100ft slab and it leaves both its lsd..."
lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
Good stuff. Reset my ECU and did some really spirited driving around 610 this morning. Weather is amazing out today so it was a great ride. Also replaced cabin filter and sprayed down my a/c vents due to a funky smell, hopefully this eliminates the odor. The high mount brake light was tough to swap out due to limited space, horrible engineering. I was thinking of doing a write up with video but didn't really have a lot of time as I'm currently working on making some changes to the crib.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ding dang it...no LSD. Great info and PDF on replacement keys. Thank you. When I get a key and I'll be back to report out come of my programing.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts