Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this past Sunday.

We have a family in our church and right now they are struggling financially. I mean poverty. They didn't even have money to buy a $5 pie for thanksgiving to take to a thanksgiving party. Well I was blessed with a nice bonus this year and my wife and I purposed in our hearts to bless them. So we gave them a $150 check on sunday and we are planning on giving their son a brand new bike (doesn't have one; doesn't even know how to ride) for Christmas. God has blessed me so I will bless others. I encourage you all to do the same. I know some of you do things for the needy already and that's awesome. This is what we need more of in this world. When you talk to/know someone who's in a situation like that, it really changes your perspective on life and how easy it is to take good things, even everyday things for granted.

Anyway, just remember others this Christmas...

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
good idea... I guess I don't know anyone who is really in that much need, I don't go to church so I don't know anyone there who needs either, but I always give the homeless guys a loaf of bread or something when I see them around...and I always give $200 in new toys for toys for tots...what else can I do?

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's plenty. props to you. I guess my point is just to be good towards one another. Agent would call me a pu55y right about now, but who cares?

you don't have to give away your life savings, but we all have a little extra we can use to bless someone.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays people...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
No offense intented here, it's great that you want to help out.

I just find it nauseating when people brag about how generous they are to other people, charities, etc.

It makes it sound like you just spent $150 to make yourself look like a better person, not because you just wanted to give from the heart.

I do what I can, but I don't itemize my generosity for others. Except on my 1040's. :)

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
ATLDave said:

I just find it nauseating when people brag about how generous they are to other people, charities, etc.

It makes it sound like you just spent $150 to make yourself look like a better person, not because you just wanted to give from the heart.

I do what I can, but I don't itemize my generosity for others. Except on my 1040's. :)
I think the point of this thread was just to be generous...not to brag about being generous

·
11,062 Posts
I always buy a couple of things for the giving tree at the mall (I don't have kids, so I spend the same as I do for my niece and nephew)...and donate to the food bank too. This year, our office is sponsoring a family too.

Try it ya'll. Makes ya feel good.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
cool....speaking of that, me and a few of my friends are deciding that instead of giving christmas present to one another, we gonna put all the money that we will spend in an envelop and use that money and get a gift thru World Vision for some needy family....i think it cost about $80 for a goat and that will provide milk and food for a family in africa..

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
ATLDave said:

dude, he's not telling a "look at me" story like lil'is300 would do, he's illustrating his point.... JD is like the holiest member we have on here, don't judge him. :shame:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You are an awesome person. I myself am buying presents for the Christmas Family that my company sponsors every year.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am by no means holy. I was just trying to encourage others to take a moment out of their busy schedules and think of someone in need. I have learned a ton in the past 4 months or so about myself and how badly I need to improve on my character. This is just a step in an ongoing process. I am the chief of sinners. I give props to God for blessing me in a way that I can bless His children. See it as you may, I'm just sharing how He is changing me.

Sorry for the "controversy"...

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sanctuary said:
ltunedgirl said:
I was also thinking about getting the mail lady a gift, do you guys give your mail men/women gifts?
I do that every year and it's great to see there face light up because they don't really expect it.
I've read enough about you to say that you sound like a person of character Sanctuary. That's an awesome thing. I'll do the same with mine this year. Have any ideas? My postperson is a she, maybe late 30's to early 40's??

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
junedog said:
Sanctuary said:
ltunedgirl said:
I was also thinking about getting the mail lady a gift, do you guys give your mail men/women gifts?
I do that every year and it's great to see there face light up because they don't really expect it.
I've read enough about you to say that you sound like a person of character Sanctuary. That's an awesome thing. I'll do the same with mine this year. Have any ideas? My postperson is a she, maybe late 30's to early 40's??
I usually leave $20 in the mailbox with a card. So you guys wait by the window and run out when you see the mailman?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
junedog said:
Sanctuary said:
ltunedgirl said:

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm just lucky to be influenced by good people like yourself, and others on this forum.

I'm also doing something different this holiday season. I bought a whole bunch of toys and clothes for the infants in the pediatric ward of a hospital near by. I'm going to deliver them this Friday and I can't wait to finally carry out what I feel I should have started a long time ago. Better late then never I guess.

As far as the gift ideas for your postperson, I guess a nice gift certificate to a book store would be nice. Last year I gave a portable book lamp that acts as a book holder too. It's really cool and I wish I would have gotten one for myself now that I think about it.

This year I might do something a little different like maybe a scarf, glove, and ear muff set. Or maybe something from Crate&Barell, they usually have nice gifts that cost to much and can be useful.

I hope that helps a little and thanks for sharing your story. I hope God continues to bless you and your family each and every year.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I did the avon 60 Mile breast cancer awareness walk this year and raised like 2K for their chairity. It was really cool, besides the whole walking 60 miles thing....

You have almost influenced me to go to the break room and buy a gift for one of the salvation army kids in need (the gift christmas tree thing)... to bad i dont have much money,, maybe there will be a cheap one... I feel bad driving a lexus complaining that i have no money... im a jerk,what can i say.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
ISthree00
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing