Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would definitely try the link I posted as that is where I purchased mine from with 0 fitment issues.

BLKDOUT - I agree it is more "tinny" sounding but I suppose that was what I came to expect out of going catless in the header section. I really wanted the OBX or Figs Headers but again, gosh dang! the price of these was too low to pass up even if I had to trash them.

The real reason for my post was more to let people know there is a low cost / budget header out there that seems to have acknowledged the rear bung location as an issue for us. These were practically plug-and-play for $155.00.

"Good production Value" Hahaha Loved that comment - had me cracking up this morning. lol Thanx man! - I did it all from my iphone!
If you go back to your stock y-pipe it should mellow out the sound a bit due to the end cat.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you go back to your stock y-pipe it should mellow out the sound a bit due to the end cat.
My Stock Y-pipe had to be replaced since I had a 1" gash just south of the Header Flange.

I liked the idea of also being able to better supply the engine with a little bit of back pressure by using the stock Y-Pipe but its no longer useable and too old and damage to really be repaired. You are probably right though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My Stock Y-pipe had to be replaced since I had a 1" gash just south of the Header Flange.

I liked the idea of also being able to better supply the engine with a little bit of back pressure by using the stock Y-Pipe but its no longer useable and too old and damage to really be repaired. You are probably right though.
It's an idea I have played with seeing as then you can pickup cheap headers, and still have at least 1 cat. I had a catless downpipe on my WRX for 20 miles before I sold it and went back to a catted pipe. I couldn't imagine being catless ever again. Gave some serious headaches in DC stop and go traffic.

I do like these headers, it's 2017 and exhaust components are no longer as cheap in quality as they used to be coming from China. I'd bet these DNA headers come from the same factory as the other ebay brands that are below $200.

Hopefully your fouler isn't messing up fuel calculations and keeping the car in open loop.

Nice review! I may try these headers + stock y-pipe for the fact they are dirt cheap, run them till they snap a weld and leak. Then I would probably go with Magnaflow headers, and megan y-pipe for a ~600 solution.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's an idea I have played with seeing as then you can pickup cheap headers, and still have at least 1 cat. I had a catless downpipe on my WRX for 20 miles before I sold it and went back to a catted pipe. I couldn't imagine being catless ever again. Gave some serious headaches in DC stop and go traffic.

I do like these headers, it's 2017 and exhaust components are no longer as cheap in quality as they used to be coming from China. I'd bet these DNA headers come from the same factory as the other ebay brands that are below $200.

Hopefully your fouler isn't messing up fuel calculations and keeping the car in open loop.

Nice review! I may try these headers + stock y-pipe for the fact they are dirt cheap, run them till they snap a weld and leak. Then I would probably go with Magnaflow headers, and megan y-pipe for a ~600 solution.
The fouler keeping the system in an open loop is something I hadnt thought about but I would expect a CEL if something was out of system spec. or if the system was regulating fuel differently - I may be naive to assume this a fair statement but should I really be concerned about running lean as a result of running a simple anti-fouler? At minimum, I would think the car changes the way it monitors but I find it difficult to believe it would regulate fuel any differently.
Honestly, I could careless if I am dumping fuel - its running lean that concerns me more; this is really a weekend warrior car and I dont drive anywhere I'm not familiar with due to the low stance height on the car. Needless to say, this limits my driving to around town locally here - no long trips.

Again, I would think if fuel mix was being regulated differently I would see some indication by the ECU as a CEL telling me something is up. This not being the case (NO CEL), I never really thought too much about it.

PS. Silly question. Does anyone know for a fact that I can run leaded fuel now? - I've been wanting to run leaded fuel for awhile now but I know the gas cap states unleaded fuel only. This is only because of cats in the stock system right? - I shouldn't have any issues running leaded fuel now
since I'm catless correct?

·
Registered
117 Posts
At minimum, I would think the car changes the way it monitors but I find it difficult to believe it would regulate fuel any differently.
Did you only add spacers to the 2nd sensor on both banks? Other than that you are correct, the car should run fine in closed loop. It would probably throw a code in open loop as it warms up by now.

I'm the one being silly also. On this year of Toyota ECU the rear O2s on both banks are only meant for catalytic efficiency, and fuel calculations are only done on the upstream sensors.

For some reason I thought all Japanese cars did some sort of fuel calculation off the rear O2s, similar to how Subaru does it on the WRX/STi/BRZ. But different platform, different logic.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Onsit,

I actually only added the anti-fouler sensor extension to the post cat 02 sensor located on the header manifold.
- I didnt even touch the second one located on the Megan Y-Pipe.

That day I ended up purchasing another CNT Anti-fouler off Amazon but the CEL never came on as I had anticipated...
- Which I did think was a little odd but no CEL so... cant complain.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I now have the DNA headers (wrapped in exhaust wrap), stock mid pipe, and the Manzo cat back rear.

So far I am loving the sound. I wouldn't call it loud at all. And when you really get on it, it has that perfect 2jz sound to it. Also keeping the stock midpipe means I'm not stinking up traffic driving around.

As a followup to my comment above the DNA header did change my exhaust fitment some to where the tip is touching the bumper so I may have to get down there and fiddle with it some.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I now have the DNA headers (wrapped in exhaust wrap), stock mid pipe, and the Manzo cat back rear.

So far I am loving the sound. I wouldn't call it loud at all. And when you really get on it, it has that perfect 2jz sound to it. Also keeping the stock midpipe means I'm not stinking up traffic driving around.

As a followup to my comment above the DNA header did change my exhaust fitment some to where the tip is touching the bumper so I may have to get down there and fiddle with it some.
I noticed this a little too with my set-up.

I was difficult to say "how much" but I know when I mated the Y-pipe to the header it was pulled forward some. I too noticed my exhaust tip moved a little closer to the bumper. I think (as you say) it requires just a little fiddling.

So Humbucker, for $155.00 what is your review?
- Recommend or Pass? (or too early to tell? lol)

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well it was a nice 200 mile run without any problems however today the CEL popped on.

Below are the codes read:
P2138 - Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch "D" / "E" Voltage Correlation
P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High Input
P0156 - O2 Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
P0156 - O2 Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

I had a feeling these codes might pop since I never installed the anti-fouler on the Y-Pipe Section. I do however have an anti-fouler (just arrived in mail) for this section - that I (Fingers crossed) hope will get rid of these codes and the CEL.

I haven't driven her much except to the autozone to get the codes read. I also had them re-flash the codes to prohibit the car from running lean while I drive her over to the lift.

I am really hoping the anti-fouler will take care of all this business but am now thinking I may have to end up with a sim kit after-all.

Anyone have any thoughts? Sound like shes really breathing now.

Lastly, anyone have an extra 02 Kit laying around before I source a new one?

As always, Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Wow...Ok clearly forgot to plug back in one of the sensors on the intake.
- Not the MAF Sensor but I think some EVAP Connector with 2 pins. VSV Connector I think.

Hopefully that will take care of the throttle codes.

Thanks SolarYellow!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok well all Throttle and MAF Codes went away. Hooray!

Now I'm left with a silly P0135 Code for B2S1. (Now im sort-of scratching my head as its the only code being thrown)
- So weird, as I still have not installed the anti-fouler for b2s2 but yet I'm popping a P0135 Code for a B2S1 Location???

·
Registered
78 Posts
That would be the heater circuit in sensor. Most common fault is that heater circuit is broken inside sensor.

Skickat från min F8331 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
lol of course just my luck. The most PITA one to remove.

Well, I suppose I'll look at purchasing a new 02 for this location and see if I can get at it without having to remove much. I'll update once again after I have a new one to install.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks like I may need to do some wiring and resplicing, however.... before I do:

Below are the current codes on the car:

P0153
HO2S Circuit Slow Response, Bank 2 Sensor 1

P0156
HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction, Bank 2 Sensor 2

I would think if the B2S1 location is getting a slow read is it really the secondary 02 (post cat) that is reading too soon.
Therfore has the 02 sensor really gone bad, or should I just add an anti-fouler to B2S2 Location and create the timing difference.

Again, only anti-fouler currently installed is on B1S2. (I think this is why the only error I have is on Bank 2)

Logic tells me adding the anti-fouler to B2S2 Location should work but just looking for a second opinion before I physically start to replace 02 sensors.

Cheers!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
OK. I so need to close out this thread!!

Sooooooo sorry it took so long! I actually lost my PASSWORD and it took FOREVER to figure it out!

Anyways, Running Completely catless - NO CEL Lights. Welded in a flex pipe to reduce the staunchness in the exhaust (not even the slighted rub or rattle now). Replaced basically every gasket seal in the exhaust to eliminate leaks. Relocated the B2S2 Bung location so the O2 wasnt hanging off my car and re-ran the anti-foulers.

Viola! Catless Exhaust / no LEAKS / NO CEL / NO SIM KIT!

- The last thing I was thinking about doing was running some heat shield wrap on them but for now I am going to heat shield the intake and install a vented hood. Yes! Sweet Sweet Carbon! Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK. I so need to close out this thread!!

Sooooooo sorry it took so long! I actually lost my PASSWORD and it took FOREVER to figure it out!

Anyways, Running Completely catless - NO CEL Lights. Welded in a flex pipe to reduce the staunchness in the exhaust (not even the slighted rub or rattle now). Replaced basically every gasket seal in the exhaust to eliminate leaks. Relocated the B2S2 Bung location so the O2 wasnt hanging off my car and re-ran the anti-foulers.

Viola! Catless Exhaust / no LEAKS / NO CEL / NO SIM KIT!

- The last thing I was thinking about doing was running some heat shield wrap on them but for now I am going to heat shield the intake and install a vented hood. Yes! Sweet Sweet Carbon! Cheers Mates!
Did you have an issue with the header hitting the motor mount? Also where did you relocate b2s2 to? Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Did you have an issue with the header hitting the motor mount? Also where did you relocate b2s2 to? Thanks!
No clearance issues at all. I'll have to search and see if I have photos still - or I'll get out there today and try and crawl under the car for you and grab a pic. I'll update you soon!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Haven't forgotten about you - I cant locate the photos and my car is in the body shop this week. I will have the car up on a lift the week of the 15th (hopefully) and can probably grab a photo then and post it when I have a moment. Sorry for the delay!

Cheers!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts