Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had this thread on ISfanatics, but decided to post it over here to, as I'll have a few questions that I may need help answering. We started the tear down a week ago. Been working on it with whatever free time we all have together.

I was back and forth on many things like Turbo or SC, kit or piece together, DIY or a shop, etc. I researched for a long time and was leaning different ways many times. Finally decided on the SRT 2.75 kit, and installing it myself with help from friends.

I've never installed a turbo kit before, so I really wanna to try it out just for a learning experience and to be involved and hands on, and I have a few knowledgeable friends that will be assisting. Besides, I didn't have the money to pay for an install. I'm still looking for a good tuner for the Haltech since I can't afford to send it out to Mo, so thats still TBD. So I may have plenty of questions and appreciate any help I can get with them.

I'll update this thread with pictures, info, or questions as it moves along.

arrival of the kit a couple weeks ago.

(the packaging for the exhaust was pretty poor, the other 2 kit boxes were good.)

big thanks to Mo @ SRT for obvious reasons, my buddy Derek for letting me use his lift/tools, and the local guys, especially Peter, Dave, & Dana for help with the tear down and install.

·
1,621 Posts
Awesome Darren!!

Can't wait to see how it turns out so you better be done by July!! lol

+rep!! :approve:

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first question:

anyone know what this hose is for thats not connected to anything?

it's hanging loosely right next to the tensioner for the Timing belt. It appears to have leaked some coolant, because there's dried pink shit all over under it.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I'll be paying close attention to this thread as I am in the same boat as you. I went through the EXACT same decision process and ended up making exactly same decision as you. Got the SRT 2.75, decided to install myself (no experience with turbos, just bolt on upgrades), and had to find a tuner because shipping to Mo just wasnt an economical option. Post a lot more details please!!! Especially about tearing down the head as this is the step that most intimidates me. It seems like the most complicated and potentially the most disastrous as the engine is the most exposed and vulnerable at this point. Any tips, advice, or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated and hopefully reduce some of my anxiety. Estimated times for each major step would be helpful too since I am planning to fit the install into 7 days. I'll be taking vacation when I get back so I'll have 7 full days to do it. 14 days if I absolutely need it.

:popcorn:

P.S. If you post up more details about the steps I'll post up more pictures of my girlfriend for you.:lol:

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
Looks like your moving along pretty well. I recently finished installing a 2.7 kit and it was alot of fun. Other than replacing the head gasket the install is fairly easy. Good luck on the rest of the install man.

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
headgasket took a while.

half the time we are trying to work on the install, we end up having to run around and get various tools/parts that we didn't have handy. It's been really cutting into the install time

The instructions from the lexus manual for removing the head and all that are pretty good. It's tough getting all the intake manifold pieces off because of all the damn hard to reach bolts and clips. Hopefully we can figure out where all the clips on the wiring harness and all the hoses/clamps/bolts go back in...lol

You'll definitely need at least 2 people to help pulling the head off and putting back on.

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be paying close attention to this thread as I am in the same boat as you. I went through the EXACT same decision process and ended up making exactly same decision as you. Got the SRT 2.75, decided to install myself (no experience with turbos, just bolt on upgrades), and had to find a tuner because shipping to Mo just wasnt an economical option. Post a lot more details please!!! Especially about tearing down the head as this is the step that most intimidates me. It seems like the most complicated and potentially the most disastrous as the engine is the most exposed and vulnerable at this point. Any tips, advice, or personal experiences will be greatly appreciated and hopefully reduce some of my anxiety. Estimated times for each major step would be helpful too since I am planning to fit the install into 7 days. I'll be taking vacation when I get back so I'll have 7 full days to do it. 14 days if I absolutely need it.

:popcorn:

P.S. If you post up more details about the steps I'll post up more pictures of my girlfriend for you.:lol:
cool, hopefully I can help you out in some way. Myself, peter, or dana can probably answer questions that may come up when you do it, otherwise I
'll try to remember to post up any tips or tricks we come up with.

One thing we're doing is NOT tapping the oil pan like SRT's instructions say, we're going to use the boss thats already on the block for the oil line, I'm just too worried about tapping the pan without getting shavings or anything inside.

The oil pan was a pain to get off, the bolts on the back are tough (but reachable) then once all the bolts were out is was still really well stuck on from the RTV silicone or whatever they used. slowly chiseled away and eventually got it off.

Hopefully we'll make some good progress today.

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats Darren. Progress is looking great! :bigSmile:

Post up all you questions, as you know, there are a lot of knowledgeable guys around here.

thanks Nick

that's the plan, I can use all the help I can get, so if we run into any problems, I'll be posting away.

only question so far is my one from post #6.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Tube is connected to the water pump for in case of excess pressure or fluid. I would change the water pump while your at it for extra insurance. Mine failed and was releasing coolant slowly. I had no idea why my coolant is low days after I filled it up. I thought I had a blown gasket at first but during the timing belt change I found the culprit.

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Question.

we're getting ready to drill the hole in the boss for the oil return line. The instructions and other tutorials we saw say to use a 3/8 tap after a 7/16" punched hole in the pan.

since we're using the boss, should we drill a 7/16" hole, and then the 3/8" NPT tap?

1 - 20 of 253 Posts