Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
diy spoiler. sorry for the poor pictures. and the dyna mat makes it difficult to tell where you are. im going off memory so this isnt the best right up. i was gonna do it when i first pulled it off but didnt get around to it. found that i didnt have the best pictures for it either. but its a start. this is an 03. dont know if it gets any different on different years.

1. remove carpet: there will be those nice little plastic clips that you have to get under and pull out. i usually pry them out a little with a flat head until i can get some needle nose under the top and use the needle nose to pry them out. there's like 10 i think. didnt really get a picture but that should be pretty obvious. the handle to open the trunk from inside has a trim around it that will need to be removed as well. it has clips on all 4 sides. just use a flat head.

2. then there will be bolts that need to be removed. i think i only had one on each side. they are about 5 to 10inches from the two side edges of the trunk. (doesnt help much right).

3. you will need to unplug the led. its on the passenger side probably right above the inner trunk light. it looks like this.

4. then you are dealing with sticky tape as well as the plastic clips. the plastic clips are like the door ones. this is very hard to do. it feels like you are gonna snap the spoiler in half so be careful. the tape is very sticky so it is a fight. the tape runs along the back and front and some spots in the middle. here are some pictures.

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Nice job, I often wondered what it looked like underneath. I thought about taking mine off before but then I'd have to fill the holes and paint the trunk.
What are you doing, adding a different spoiler?

·
Registered
698 Posts
How many holes are there to plug from removing the spoiler?..

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i already sold my spoiler. im just leaving it off. maybe after i get a body kit ill put on a different one. i believe there are 8 holes to fill. still havent had the time to get all the glue off. theyre just electrical taped right now.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i bet you could have found someone without a spoiler and just do a straight trade. Then you wouldn't have to fill the holes.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i couldnt tell you if its the same as the other spoiler. yeah i shouldve just traded someone but i have mine all dynamatted and that stuff just doesnt come off. plus dont know anyone with a ggp nonspoiler. plus i wasnt sure if i wanted to keep it off.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I like the lip spoiler, not sure why you'd take it off? You could have definitely found someone who would have traded.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Anyone have any input on getting to and squeezing these clips to remove it?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Anyone have any input on getting to and squeezing these clips to remove it?
I think the clips are similar to the door clips, so you have to apply even pressure when pulling them out. You will obviously have to remove the inner trunk lining to expose them. Check out the second post below for another method using zip ties. Remember the two metric nuts. The 3M tape is the pain in the ars part. Some use dental floss and some use a hair dryer. Hope this helps.

Http://my.is/forums/f90/spoiler-removal-264590/

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks Jason. This spoiler thing with me has dragged out longer than I have liked. I just installed it last weekend and the sides of it are bending up slightly even using 3M tape. I think I have concluded that the spoiler itself is slightly bent or warped from when it was taken off the last IS300 (came off of a front collision wrecked car). Unless others have had this same issue I have no idea other than that. BTW, it is OEM and has Toyota stamped on the bottom.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Thanks Jason. This spoiler thing with me has dragged out longer than I have liked. I just installed it last weekend and the sides of it are bending up slightly even using 3M tape. I think I have concluded that the spoiler itself is slightly bent or warped from when it was taken off the last IS300 (came off of a front collision wrecked car). Unless others have had this same issue I have no idea other than that. BTW, it is OEM and has Toyota stamped on the bottom.
I pulled my factory installed spoiler off and put it back on. The sides are slightly pulling up and I didn't break any of the clips.

I think the way to get it back on is clean the trunk with rubbing alcohol, heat up the trunk (let the car sit in the sun for a while) and use a heat gun to warm the tape up, then get some help and slap it on there quick.

Once it's on there, I would figure out a way to set some weights on top of the spoiler to try to hold it down and let the tape seal?

Maybe put a towel over the spoiler, then a thin pad of foam with weights on top of the foam?

I think the issue is not applying pressure long enough for it to fully stick. I just ignore it for now.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks so much man. Helpful info with the fact that it could just be the nature of the spoiler (which would be slightly relieving). I had both sides down for a day or so and they ended up popping back up. I bought all of the clips from Lexus and already had the 2 10 mill bolts so I know all of that is holding. But yeah, like you say, the sides are slightly pulling up, for me the passenger side a little more aggressively than the driver side though.

Forgot to mention in response to heating it up and letting it sit in the sun, but you're probably right and I probably picked a bad time of year being that temperature is dropping. If you don't mind could you post some pics of yours?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yup, mine stayed down for a couple days or something and then started coming back up.

You might also try and talk to some body shops and see if they can get some heavy duty double sided tape. And some type of spray on adhesion promoter? I'm not exactly sure what it was, but I helped with my roof spoiler install and the guy at the body shop used some type of spray promoter after cleaning the roof and then we stuck it on. It's been holding up great so far.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I am actually planning on going to the body shop tomorrow that painted my spoiler originally and see what they suggest if anything at all. They're good and I have developed somewhat of a friendship with them from previous work so they know how I am with my car. One other thing I thought about doing is squeezing another layer of 3M tape in the gap but the only thing that would solve is light coming through the corner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Will a Trd or other style IS spoiler (w/o third brake light) bolt right in? Do the holes line up?

I guess this is a good time to see some pics of other spoiler options. I've been looking at putting on another stock spoiler w/o the third light....always thought it looked cleaner.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Will a Trd or other style IS spoiler (w/o third brake light) bolt right in? Do the holes line up?

I guess this is a good time to see some pics of other spoiler options. I've been looking at putting on another stock spoiler w/o the third light....always thought it looked cleaner.
I've probably gone through about every spoiler thread on here. I'll go ahead and save you from searching, because this question is everywhere. But no, a TRD will not cover the holes and I do not think anybody has found a spoiler that will.

You think the stock lip spoiler w/ the third brake light isn't clean? IMO it's the cleanest spoiler I've ever seen on IS300's and the TRD is a lot more aggressive, too aggressive IMO especially without any other exterior mods, but I guess everyone has their own opinion lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts