Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Word of warning though, don't bother taking off that bolt thats circled in red 2 posts up! You really don't need to and you have like a 90% chance of snapping it. I did it on one side, didnt bother on the other and the coils went in fine.
Out back you can either drop the arm or not, I didn't and it could have been easier but I still got them out fine. Might just need to push the suspension down to get the shock out, have a friend help. So much easier.

Really good tip getting those ramps. Now that winter is coming to an end I have a bunch of work to do.
Hotchkis Sway Bars,
BC Coilovers,
MEGA arm, Front Bushing and Rear Toe links,
Brembo rotors, pads and brake lines
90 K service

Everything looks brutally rusty on my 2002 IS because of the winters up here. Might not be able to pull this off if things are too jammed up. Ramps will help so guess we'll see...

i think i have the same issue, i dont have any ramps thoe......installed H&R springs with kyb gr2 struts, didnt even lower it by that much.....i did torque everything while on jack stands.....question is how do i torque it while tires on the ground????.....is it for all bolts or specific ones???

The bolt in red is not grade 10, that is why it is all rusted up and will break upon removing.

The steel in it is so mild that it is very easy to drill and make tread again in the control arm. Put a new bolt in with anti-cease grease \ locktight and VOILÀ like new. As Mentionned above , this bolt is not stressed, it is used to secure the bracket in place.

After Removing the bracket, Take a grinder and cut the top of the bolt making it flush to the top of the control-arm. after that punch the center of it if to have a good start at drilling it. Tou can either get a special toolkit for removal or just drill it and retap.

I Suggest drilling cause the bolt is too rusted that the tool will just eat it. (my experience)

Regards, Marc

Ive dont my springs 3x and still takes me over 5hrs. And yes this is with a IMPACT gun.

I broke the bolt circled in red on the driverside. due to a tight time frame and not wanting to remove the arm & install the new bushings just yet I ground it flat, went with some JB weld over the entire area then used safety wire in an X pattern around the bracket/arm & through the bracket/around the arm.

when i go to install the superpro bushings i'll fix it properly but its pretty secured in the meantime lol

should mention, the bolt still snapped even with only using hand tools on it & pretreating it with PB blaster the night before & right as I started it

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.