Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Never had such s%^#=y finish on rims on any other car I have owned! I have a 02 SportX and the stock rims have a terrible corrosion problem. Yes I live in the midwest, but this is ridiculous. Not going to spend the $ to refinish them. I think I will buy one at a time to replace them from fleabay. Sadly the 17.5 on the rear ( only used on the SportX ) are almost immpossible to find. These are the ones that seem to be the worst of the bunch? Lexus wheels should not have a problem like this. I have seen alloys on old Cavaliers around here hold up much better than these rims did. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Never had such s%^#=y finish on rims on any other car I have owned! I have a 02 SportX and the stock rims have a terrible corrosion problem. Yes I live in the midwest, but this is ridiculous. Not going to spend the $ to refinish them. I think I will buy one at a time to replace them from fleabay. Sadly the 17.5 on the rear ( only used on the SportX ) are almost immpossible to find. These are the ones that seem to be the worst of the bunch? Lexus wheels should not have a problem like this. I have seen alloys on old Cavaliers around here hold up much better than these rims did. :(

:/ do you know if they're OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Has anyone thought to plasti dip their wheels? What is their experience with that? With heating and melting for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plasti dipped my rims and they are holding up so far. Its been about 6 months. I just clean them with simple green.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Roads around here are terrible. Beings my stock rims are all corroded does anyone know what other 16" rim I could buy used fit. Tired of the low profile ride of the 17"s as this is my daily. Could pick up some used 16's at the boneyard if I was what would fit and work. Thought I read on here somewhere that older Avalon rims work.

·
Registered
230 Posts
allturbo98 What brand and color is that?
This is just Plastidip from the spray can. 4 coats of matte black then 4 coats of silver metallizer. Just like what rob 2fast4u rob 2fast4u said, you need several coats to make it last. Just start with light mist coats then heavier for each color.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Roads around here are terrible. Beings my stock rims are all corroded does anyone know what other 16" rim I could buy used fit. Tired of the low profile ride of the 17"s as this is my daily. Could pick up some used 16's at the boneyard if I was what would fit and work. Thought I read on here somewhere that older Avalon rims work.
Here's my IS300 on the right with 16" R32 GTR rims (16x8 +30mm offset, almost perfect for our cars) and 205/55R16 tires.

Attachments

41 - 55 of 55 Posts