Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Excellent write-up man...I plan on doing this in a few weeks to my wheels.

But does anyone have some suggestions on how to keep the "machined" face look of our wheels, even after repairing some minor curb rash? For actual polished lips, people usually just go to town with a grinder and polishing compounds. I could do that, but then my wheels would look like the face was chromed…a bit too Chevrolet for me.

If nobody has any suggestions then I was thinking I would:
1. Prep the painted areas
2. Sand/polish the machined face and see how it looks
3. Tape off the machined face
4. Paint
5. Remove tape and then use a professional clear on the entire thing

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
bondo has held up fine thus far...even through the tire change...the paint did get scratched but thats becuase the place i went to was not careful...easy enough to touch up though...

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
where did you get the bondo from? i plan on tackling this in the next coming weeks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good job, very good prep work. polishing the machined faces would be great too. +reps.

post pics on car

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
8 Posts
Diy Experiment On Chrome Rims! Wow

:suspiciou
so chrome is polish! i hope to sand the chrome off as much as i can and see what the results are, i think this should be a learnign experience for me and that way other lexus owners with chrome rims can take that nasty chrome off!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
wow! looks amazing! i NEED to do this to my rims, they are so rashed....what color silver did you use if you dont mind me asking...:rolleyes: and what was the paint company? and also you mentioned a primer that is meant to fill in deep scratches? what company makes that? im assuming you got everything from pep boys? this info would be great so i can get started ASAP.

+repzz

·
Registered
8 Posts
i followed the steps that you posted. and went on an adventure on doing some DIY work man. thanks for this post. this is what my car looks like now. its only the beggining of many mods.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ah man...I found a guy here in PHX selling a set for $150 he said the clear coat was peeling off...I didn't bother to call him back, but now I wish I did...could of painted them myself...ah well....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi,
Can you please let me know which Bondo formula works on wheels?
Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anyone thought to plasti dip their wheels? What is their experience with that? With heating and melting for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 55 Posts