Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, also it's super humid here in Houston and that makes it harder to paint. Clear coat = impossible here. Another issue I had was Rustoleum cans shooting blobs of paint and drying with lighter spots even after 4 coats.

To each his own, you can use Walmart stuff or the pro stuff. SEM is absolutely top notch and the chemical flash time is pretty decent too.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Well, also it's super humid here in Houston and that makes it harder to paint. Clear coat = impossible here. Another issue I had was Rustoleum cans shooting blobs of paint and drying with lighter spots even after 4 coats.

To each his own, you can use Walmart stuff or the pro stuff. SEM is absolutely top notch and the chemical flash time is pretty decent too.
not trying to hate on you in anyway, i think yours turned out great, really good job.

but i found the SEM Color Coat you used for $9 on amazon.. so not sure how much you paid for yours to call it expensive.

SEM Paints (SEM15013) Color Coat - Landau Black Aerosol - Amazon.com

and $10 from summit racing

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-15013

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
2 cans to be safe. Again, my dash has held up just fine since I posted this thread...If you want to venture off with other paint that's no problem, turbotrauma's dash came out looking great. Just don't take his word and assume what I used to be 'crappy,' the evidence speaks for itself.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i keep putting this off anyway i have 2 questions

1. the textured part on the dash will that come off if stripped?

2. what have you guys found to strip the paint down to the plastic

·
Registered
789 Posts
I used acetone and rags to get the bulk off and then acetone and bristle scrubbing brush to get into the textured surfaces. You really need to get stuck into it and get all the little bits out, otherwise the dies and paints wont bind to the substrate and just sit on top of the bits of the original coating eventually cracking and bubbling. It takes a bit of work, but like any good paint job the end result is directly related to the prep work more than anything else ;)

i keep putting this off anyway i have 2 questions

1. the textured part on the dash will that come off if stripped?

2. what have you guys found to strip the paint down to the plastic

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
BTW, Rust-oleum also have a line of fabric and vinyl paint. Fabric and vinyl paint may have more flex agent than universal paint to prevent flaking. The SEM mentioned here is also a fabric and vinyl paint.

Auto Specialty Paints Fabric & Vinyl Product Page

@Turbotrauma sanding with 2000 grit may be too fine? Scuffing with 800 may be a better idea?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great write up, for some reason my interior is pristine except for the dash, which seems to be a little soft and gummy, and it is scratched, presumably because it is soft and gummy! Is this normal for IS dashes?

I have already priced a new one, (a little under $400 discounted OEM) but am interested in the paint thinner method of smoothing thing as well, actually I already did the little bar above the glovebox, which was the worst, I used some mild cleaners then taped it, then used some duplicolor flat black vinyl spray, that matched pretty well. Was considering taping at all off and doing the whole dash in place, I know you could spray it better off the car, but less chance of screwing something else up pulling masking tape off than pulling out and re-installing the dash.

Edit: Don't know what happened looked like a one page topic and thought I had read it all, then it went to 7 pages, my question about the gummy dashes seems to be answered, it is a common problem, no? Actually I am kind of glad to hear it, as the airbags are under the dash, and with the dash all scratched up (and the rest of the interior like new) I wondered if the car had popped the airbags and someone replaced the dash, scratching it up in the process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@madchyers

I just did this over the weekend and had some trouble with the side air bag.

The following pictures should help others with step 38b. If you could add these pictures to your first post, I'm sure others would appreciate it.

IMG_20141012_103014_50_2 shows the keyhole on the frame

IMG_20141012_103326_50_2 shows the metal part on the airbag cover which is inserted into the keyhole and then slides up for the upper bolt to be attached

Also,
I used 100% acetone - nail polish remover. It did a great job of stripping all of the low quality Lexus gunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hey guys, I have painted my dash and am in the process of putting it back in the car, but Im not sure if all the clips are properly mated at the front (the orange ones directly under the windshield).
Is there supposed to be a gap between the dash and the windscreen itself? I cant remember if it was there before, but if I shine a light at the bottom of the windshield from inside I can make out the reflected bare metal of the car. Could someone confirm if this is normal? Cheers

EDIT: Checked with another vehicle. Gap is normal

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just finished this - some suggestions

1. There is one additional bolt that needs to be removed that is missing from the steps. It is high in the dash near the dash tray.
2. For the a-pillars covers if you have a 02+, there are metal tabs in slots that that hold them in place. You must use force to slide them down so that you can pull them out of the exit hole at the bottom of the slot. Also you may need to use a little more force if the pillars are stuck to the windshield adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used these instructions a few months ago and got great results. I used 91% rubbing alcohol(isopropyl alcohol)from the grocery store to remove the gunk and it worked better than anything else. I had my upholsterer repaint the dash and he charged me $275. It has been holding up well. I would not have attempted this DIY project without the instructions so much thanks to the author!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for sharing!
Here is my before and after pics.

Used Alcohol and shop towels to remove gunk
Scotch bright pads + soap
SEM adhesive + SEM Landau Black Color Coat - very happy with the result!

One advise - Stay calm when you will be putting your perfectly refinished dash back! Wrap steering wheel in something and tape corners of the dash (especially driver's side) I scratched mine a little bid and it's made my rest of the day

81 - 100 of 107 Posts