Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't clear mine, but I haven't had any issues, the pics I posted up looks like it does in the car, looks factory. Also I haven't had anything brush up against it so I'm not sure if it will hold up the same as the factory. I doubt it tho because the factory coating didn't seem like it was just a spray paint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
great thread man alot of work put into it i can tell, i dont have the melting dash problem but i feel like it could use a fresh paint job, its startin to look a little worn out, preciate the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 IS300 that caught fire a few years back and scored an entire interior from a 04. The problem was that the entire dash of the newer model was factory coated in a soft rubbery coating. And in the hot Florida sun it did nothing but get worse. I spent an evening pulling the dash and scrubbing it with Laquer Thinner and a scotch brite to take off all the coating. Applied a bumper coating to the textured part and painted the smooth part to match the exterior. Came out incredible. Once I finish repainting the exterior i will be reinstalling.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2001 IS300 that caught fire a few years back and scored an entire interior from a 04. The problem was that the entire dash of the newer model was factory coated in a soft rubbery coating. And in the hot Florida sun it did nothing but get worse. I spent an evening pulling the dash and scrubbing it with Laquer Thinner and a scotch brite to take off all the coating. Applied a bumper coating to the textured part and painted the smooth part to match the exterior. Came out incredible. Once I finish repainting the exterior i will be reinstalling.

That looks great, can you give me more info on the "bumper coating" you used, also did you guys use the laquer thinner and scotch brite on the upper foamy feeling stuff thats covering the top portion of the dash?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I see how he would have irriting reflections on his windshield ... maybe oem dash are dark for a reason?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does anyone have an idea about the durability of the painted dashes compared to the very non-durable oem finish?

I was hoping that I wouldn't be experiencing the same issues ~6 months down the road..

Thanks..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dang. I'm in the process of doing this now. I've done three coats of flat black already and mine looks nothing like 254lexIS300s does. Mine looks great but also is completely flat black. His seems semi glossy to me. I wonder....did you/he use a semi gloss spray? Or some Satin clear coat? That looks nice. maybe it's the lighting in my garage but mine seems real flat black.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey guys....need some suggestions.....I've done 5 coats of flat black and it looks great. Should I clear? I bought two cans of satin clear, but not sure if I should or Shouldn't. I guess I should test an inconspicuous spot on the center console to see if I like it. Opinions? Warning....cell phone pics to follow...

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks!!! i need to do this to fix melting dash:bigSmile:

·
Registered
500 Posts
thank you op

·
Registered
105 Posts
In the first post he says about 1-2 hours. To the guys who have done this was it about a 2 hour process of being safe and removing the dash carefully? How much time did you guys leave between the coats? Did most of you guys end up clear coating the final product?

I wanted to put dynamat on my ceiling and might do this during drying time since the dash will be out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In the first post he says about 1-2 hours. To the guys who have done this was it about a 2 hour process of being safe and removing the dash carefully? How much time did you guys leave between the coats? Did most of you guys end up clear coating the final product?

I wanted to put dynamat on my ceiling and might do this during drying time since the dash will be out.
just finished this...
waited like a minute between coats (i painted in direct sunlight)
the paint dries pretty fast
used flat black so no clear

after i put everything back i tried to start the car and it didnt want to start.
i have a kinetic battery so that wasnt the issue, i could work all the electrical stuff but the starter was failing. I tapped the starter with my wrench a few times and finally got it to work. was wondering if i messed up somewhere or if it was just as coincidence?:confused:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Painting my dash this weekend. OP you are the man and the is300 community thanks you. I'll post pics Sunday!

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I wouldn"t clear coat it. Reflections on your windshiled would be retarded.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts