Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am so going to do this. Probably the best DIY I've seen yet.

I guess I have a project for next weekend.

Did you prep and paint the air bag as well?

·
Registered
21 Posts
did this today, well half way there atleast, I only had scratches and the melted look on the smooth part of the dash and center console, i was amazed how smooth it came out by just using the sponge and stripper... but got a questions, on the rest of the dash the textured part, do I need to do anything to that when I paint it, or should that rust-oleum paint stick just fine?

·
Registered
21 Posts
okay heres a couple pics of my car before and after, figured I'd put up a few clearer pics of what the process comes out as.

before

dash out

after using the stripper, and sponge, no sanding.

painted 2 coats

installed

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
did this today, well half way there atleast, I only had scratches and the melted look on the smooth part of the dash and center console, i was amazed how smooth it came out by just using the sponge and stripper... but got a questions, on the rest of the dash the textured part, do I need to do anything to that when I paint it, or should that rust-oleum paint stick just fine?
As long as you stick to thin, even layers of paint the texture will stay the same.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Chad thanks for this DIY, i just finished doing it and all your steps where right on, +rep dude, and i did a silver and black, ill post pics up later

·
Registered
363 Posts
heres some pics of mine, these pics aren't that great because i took them on my phone, it looks really good in person

·
Registered
367 Posts
This is awesome, does it really look like new or is that just the pictures making it look so good?

I've always thought it was crazy how easy our dashes scratch, it's actually quite ridiculous.

After re-painting it did you notice it's harder to scratch? and do you think allowing time to give it like 3 or 4 good layers could make the paint tougher?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great tutorial. Not sure about everyone else, but I went through 6 scour pads prepping my dash using lacquer thinner from Lowe's. It only took maybe 1.5 hours to get the dash out which isn't too bad I suppose. I'm on the line of painting it how BlueTezza39 did but I may just go all black to make it quicker and easier.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i went to the junkyard and got a 2001 dash almost brand new car was hit from the rear. i still havent seen any defect for and got it for $50. Chad thanks for this DIY, i just finished doing it and all your steps where on point.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts