Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Short Ram Install Issue

I grabbed on of the junker pipes from ebay and slapped it on, cars running like shit. From what Ive read, it could be an issue with the MAF and the diameter of the intake pipe. Im going to clear the ecu and give her another shot, check for vac leaks and then hope its fixed. Any input?

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I grabbed on of the junker pipes from ebay and slapped it on, cars running like shit. From what Ive read, it could be an issue with the MAF and the diameter of the intake pipe. Im going to clear the ecu and give her another shot, check for vac leaks and then hope its fixed. Any input?
Anything more then 3.25in tubing will cause problems ...clean MAF , check all hoses , check all sensor plugs, reset ecu...

throwing cel??

·
Registered
63 Posts
CEL for secondary O2 sensor bc I have no cats. I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner...all though it says it prob shouldnt be used on lexus sensors. But I figured I have two so ill try it anyways. Checked all sensor plugs and vac lines to another IS3 and im square. I did notice two different part number for the MAF sensors, mine are both the same but my gf has a different one. I tried to run a 3in pipe today again with two different MAF Sensors, cleared the ECU, still crap. So I just cut the charge pipe the PO was using and have been running that with the ebay filter on it untill I get a Blox filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
great job on the write up! i just bought my first IS300 last week :cloud9: :loveit: ...needless to say i was looking for a quick and easy method to ditch that stock air intake. thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
great job on the write up! i just bought my first IS300 last week :cloud9: :loveit: ...needless to say i was looking for a quick and easy method to ditch that stock air intake. thanks again!
Thxs
What are you looking to get / do ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thxs
What are you looking to get / do ??
i saw your post over the weekend and wanted to go with the joe-z intake. so i took a quick drive down to carson toyota this morning (any excuse to go for a cruise, right? haha) and also got a afe power air filter. just dropped both of them in and took a test drive...very nice!

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Good stuff ....glad you like the set up

·
Registered
198 Posts
From what ive gathered.... back in the "day" LMS had a long true CAI for the IS300

if i recall correctly team Lexus had it on their racecar as well

also AEM makes a extension piece for their setups to mate up to the AEM SRI for the IS....

My version incorporates some piping i had laying around from my 240SX, and a OBX-r IS300 intake (pretty much the longer kin to Joe-Z pipe, with a maf adapter already welded)

its pretty straight forward including cutting the fender well opening...ALL PIPING IS 3 INCH

I cut my hole with a dremel cutting bit, and further smoothed the edges with a sanding drum...

the only thing that i have noticed that sets this apart from the LMS design is that it sits lower and my bends are more smooth. I run an Apex-i cone filter so its shorter than most filters and it sits about 2 inches away from the opening next to the foglight

the homework has been done here on my IS to acheive the best power for NA intakes and i beleive the happy medium was somewhere between 5-6ft total length from the intake valve to the filter, mine measures in at about a lil over 6ft...

with just the SRI the car felt about normal just way loud, with the longer setup its hard to tell because i did this the same time i did my header, so my outcome is skewed, spunky yes, low end well i toss that to the long runners moving my power band around, noise? not nearly as loud but it does sound pretty mean near the bumper.....

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
^^^ great info thanks for posting , I've owned the LMS intake and with emu tuned awesome set up .

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Bump for the new members ....any questions

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello forum members I'm a newbie on this forum Just bought a Used 2002 is300 e shift and picked up a used Mishimoto Intake I just installed great pickup and throttle response is noticeable and a nice carbon fiber heat shield bought for $40 bucks in almost new condition. I will post pictures as soon as I can. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
post up feedback for noobs when your done ++

61 - 80 of 84 Posts