Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have search everywhere for one. Can't find one, so I'm going to make one. I was able to boost my car with reading from the site. So I'm going to give back to the site to help others out. I boosted my car>
http://my.is/forums/f114/another-boosted-making-lots-pics-354985/

Old news. Well the motor had 109xxx on her, and he rings said no! So I'm doing this now. And when I have all the pieces I will show you step-by-step on how to build the 2JZ.

^thats me......HI

These are going in. GTE internals. Taking it apart was no problem, the trick is getting it all back together.:confused:

Rings.....not so good.

· Premium Member
8,435 Posts
Make sure you measure out all your cylinder walls, check to bore size, scoring, and eccentricity.

Also check all your bearing clearance.

I also noticed that instead of spending 25 bucks on a valve cover gasket set you use some permatex stuff. Cutting corners like that kinda worry me a bit.

My best advice would be don't cut corners and make sure you do everything the right way the first time.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The block is getting worked now. There was no damage. He is going to tell me what size rings I will need, along with main and rod bearings + thrust bearings. New crank seals are coming. So are the cam seals. H2O gasket will be in soon. The VC gasket is reuseable. I'm getting OEM gasket sealent. I was confused on the lower oil pan, there was no gasket. ???

· Premium Member
8,435 Posts
From the best of my knowledge the valve cover gasket is black in color. If you look at your picture there is red/orange permatex sealant pushing out along the perimeter of the vc.

If you are using standard GTE 86mm pistons, there are no other different size rings besides stand size rings.

Honestly, with work as intense as rebuilding a motor I would never recommend a DIY for such in dept work.

· Premium Member
4,364 Posts
the oil pan gasket is Toyota FIPG or just any RTV that works with engine oil. i agree i dont think this is a good idea for most DIY'ers but its good information to read about.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May not be a good thread to someone who knows nothing of a car in general, but to some others, this will be perfect.....I hope. If all goes well, this thread can be used for many other things beside a rebuild. I'm just tring to help others out.
But where is the best place,(good service/fast shipping) to buy rings/bearings? I really want some bad a$$ rings. I dont want this to happen again.(blow-by)

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the best of my knowledge the valve cover gasket is black in color. If you look at your picture there is red/orange permatex sealant pushing out along the perimeter of the vc.

If you are using standard GTE 86mm pistons, there are no other different size rings besides stand size rings.

Honestly, with work as intense as rebuilding a motor I would never recommend a DIY for such in dept work.

Its not really that hard. Just have to check everything as you go along. Pistons have to face a certain way, upper bearings have holes, lower ones don't. Stuff like that, you'll see pimpin!:cool:

· Premium Member
4,364 Posts
i agree im interested in this thread because later when winter comes im going to be doing a rebuild with GTE internals. rebuilding the engine should be easy but measuring clearences isnt fun and is time consuming but i would rather have it done right the first time. and with rings and bearings i think i would want stay with the factory bearings and rings.

· Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
upper bearings have holes, lower ones don't.
Hmmm
I don't remember that part. I wonder if I knew that at the time :)
I hope I did. The motor is back in.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm
I don't remember that part. I wonder if I knew that at the time :)
I hope I did. The motor is back in.
Main bearings come in widths of 20.0mm and 23.0mm. You want to install the 23.0mm bearing in the NO.1 cylinder block journal position with the main bearing cap. Install the other 20.0mm bearings in the other main caps. Upper bearings have an oil groove and oil holes; lower bearings do not.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
While waiting for the block to get back. I cleaned up a few pieces.
I used real paint and real clear. Had it mixed up at the paint shop.
(pics removed) not really important

· Registered
5,041 Posts
If you are going to a DIY you might want some more verbage. I noticed you pulled the engine but mentioned none of the steps. (disconnecting harness, fuel line, etc)

· Registered
1,256 Posts
I would not suggest rebuilding any motor without the TSRM!!!!!! This is not a difficult task with one, but there are many things in the TSRM that are slightly different from your garden variety SBC or SBF. Get a manual!!!!

Reactions: 01sarina

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are going to a DIY you might want some more verbage. I noticed you pulled the engine but mentioned none of the steps. (disconnecting harness, fuel line, etc)
I am, but taking stuff apart is a no brainer. Anyone can take stuff apart, its getting it back together. I will be very detailed when it goes back together.

· Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would not suggest rebuilding any motor without the TSRM!!!!!! This is not a difficult task with one, but there are many things in the TSRM that are slightly different from your garden variety SBC or SBF. Get a manual!!!!
Does alldata cover your manual? This is not my first rodeo. Have done 420a,
4g63, 350sbc, 351 winser, 383 stroker, 3sgte, LS1(had help with the oil area, if not right...boom), LT1, and now the 2J. Its all the same to me.

· Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
Main bearings come in widths of 20.0mm and 23.0mm. You want to install the 23.0mm bearing in the NO.1 cylinder block journal position with the main bearing cap. Install the other 20.0mm bearings in the other main caps. Upper bearings have an oil groove and oil holes; lower bearings do not.
I think the GTE internals have the oil holes in both upper and lower bearings.

· Premium Member
8,435 Posts
I think the GTE internals have the oil holes in both upper and lower bearings.
Actually, the oil holes are only on one side, but some manufactureres might opt to place holes on both upper and lower just for ease. As long you don't block the oil passage on the block it should be fine.

My advice at this point, don't use ALLDATA as your resource grab a real and geniune Toyota Service Manual.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.