Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I read up a lot about headers and just had my Megan headers installed. Don't have the O2 sim so I knew that I would throw a CEL after everything was plugged in. After the install(3-4 hrs 1st time doing it) with the headers, fired her up....let her sit for 3-5 mins....and all the sudden, no CEL?? I thought, this can't be right...wait a lil longer and maybe it'll throw a CEL later....nope, no CEL....WTF! I mean, I'm happy that there is no CEL, but I was expecting it and to have a CEL...thats just weird. Oh well, I ended up leaving home after the install and came across a TSX....raced him and burned his ASS! Gave him the jump too! Lol!

Special thanks to mycalr, he helped me put this thing together.:) thx a bunch Mike. Was a pain in the ass, but, we made it all work.
We did a DIY too so I will be posting pics up later tomorrow...cause I am freakin tired. Good nite all.

Ok, so heres what we did to make this all work and heres what you'll need:
  • Socket Wrench
  • 10, 12, 14mm long neck socket and wrenches.
  • Troque wrench
  • PB Blaster, WD-40
  • Cresent wrench or Socket sensor
  • Phillips 4 head screwdriver
  • Floor Jacks
  • 2-4hrs of labor time

The Process:

1st thing you want to do is disconnect the NEG. battery terminal and spray PB Blaster or WD-40 on the nuts and bolts from the headers and the Y-pipe(let it sit for a few hours)

Then remove the MAF sensor using your phillips 4 head screwdriver

Remove intake/heatshield/strut bar(if you don't have this, don't worry!)

What the stock header looks like before removal and remove all 3 sensors

Sensors

Then use the 14mm long neck socket to remove all 8 bolts from the headers

Remove the Y-pipe, there are just 3 bolts, use the 14mm here too.

Make sure to remove this bracket along side with the engine block/tranny. Makes the job of getting the header out more smooth. Took this from Stark's thread...hope that you don't mind.

Here is the header when it is removed.

Compare stock to Megan header.

Random Picture

Once all done, put all bolts and nuts back to get this:

Plug all sensors back, install intake with MAF sensor, heat shield, etc, etc..and you're done! Reconnect Battery terminal and fire her up.

I think that I may of missed a couple of things...but for the most part, its all there. Enjoy! Cause I sure am.:)

I know that my engine bay is dirty too...so no worries.:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
hah congrats eddy, finally got the header in huh? i see you went through wtih it afterall.

Now get back to fixing ur exhaust! hah

oh btw, how does the TRD shift knob feel.. im thinking about getting one...

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hah congrats eddy, finally got the header in huh? i see you went through wtih it afterall.

Now get back to fixing ur exhaust! hah

oh btw, how does the TRD shift knob feel.. im thinking about getting one...

I forgot if this was Jason or Wilson...? Lol! Yeah, got the headers after all. How have you been? You going to the CA2K8? I think I may end my conquest and get a new exhaust....
The TRD shift knob is fantastic. I love it. great feel.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
hey eddy! congrats!
the CEL will light up dont you worry, give it about 15-50 miles it'll come on, =( then be prepared, cuz your car will run like poop!! get that o2 sim!
and wilson!! hey dude!! hows it going!! so i hear you got a new set of rims? ohh and tails too!? hahah congrats dude!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
you two need to stop stalking in the forums.... there has to be something better to do right?

(who am i kidding, im always lurking around too!)

oh and for CA2k8, i don't think i can make it, sorry... maybe next year when i have more mods!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
nice pics, pb plaster worked i assume, also why were the shock towers remained ubolted? i know you need to take the strut bar off, is that why?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey eddy! congrats!
the CEL will light up dont you worry, give it about 15-50 miles it'll come on, =( then be prepared, cuz your car will run like poop!! get that o2 sim!
and wilson!! hey dude!! hows it going!! so i hear you got a new set of rims? ohh and tails too!? hahah congrats dude!!

Hahaha! I figured that..sooner or later I guess. Thanks Omar. Took some time. I'll be getting an O2 sim soon.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice pics, pb plaster worked i assume, also why were the shock towers remained ubolted? i know you need to take the strut bar off, is that why?
Yup, you are right on the dot. Had to remove the strut bar...just forgot to place the nuts back to keep the struts up.:)

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
My bolts were so rusted they had fused together.

Three words for header removal....Cut That Shit

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Nice write up Eddy. Glad you like the finished product.

Reactions: is_300guy

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice wright up Eddy. Glad you like the finished product.
Yeah, i do like the extra added power though...not liking the excessive noise though....I am thinking of getting a HKS DragerII/Hiper/Carbo Ti. Love the JIC, but, getting too tired of the bumper facing melt down. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It did seem a lot louder than it used to be when you drove away.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
make sure to get an alignment! since you took out the suspension (partially)

Reactions: mycalr

·
13,727 Posts
Are headers like annoying loud or if you ran a quiet exhaust like tanabe would it be more bearable? The noise is like the only reason I havent picked up a header yet...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
looks like you removed the o2 sensors after you pulled the header. i had to leave the header on to get them off. they were stu-uck.

·
Registered
650 Posts
nice write up. i was wondering if you re-used the gaskets or had brand new ones?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Make sure to remove this bracket along side with the engine block/tranny. Makes the job of getting the header out more smooth. Took this from Stark's thread...hope that you don't mind.

My hand is famous now! LOL

Nice write up :approve:. Thanks for giving credit... Good luck with the rest of your exhaust ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts