Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
$50! Should have sent it to them a few days ago. For $50 it is not cost effective to fix it yourself! lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok so I attached a picture of the mechanism..and I have a feeling that the metal part that I circled in red has something to do with releasing the latch?? The thing has a little play side to side and up and down...but I'm not sure if I have to use a tool to move it to the right?
Ok so I bougth the replacement part and studied it extensively.. The part that i circled in this post. It's SUPPOSED to rotate counterclockwise downwards...but is jammed. All other mechanicals are working like they normally do. Just this metal piece that I was suspicious of is just plain stuck. I tried force, jammed a flat head screwdriver into the top of it and pushed up to hopefully torque it. Will not budge... I still have no idea what caused this part to sieze up...

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
That's just weird. Glad to hear it's going to work out for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
will this work on a 2007 IS250 as well? it was never specified as to what IS this DYI thread was written for. i just had both my passenger front and rear door locks quit working on me within the past 2 months. i'm a member on clublexus, but the only thing i found on there was that the dealer will charge about $500 to replace one! definitely not looking to spend a g on 2 door locks. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think that I am going to need to do this on my driver's door soon. My remote doesn't work sometimes to unlock the driver's door. It seems to not work when the car has been sitting in the sun. When the car cools down it works fine. The remote works for the other three doors all the time.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I just finished this 3 weeks ago and it worked great till the last 2 days. When I unlock it opens but it's making a scary noise. I just bought a whole new motor casing.

Word of advice, be really careful on putting this back together, lots of small parts.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
^^Yeah, that's what I've been saying. These ebay motors are too strong as they're not the correct PN, and they start to separate the plastic clam shell housing when they spin up. I think you have to either glue the clam shell housing together, or just get the entire oem actuator.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
^^Yeah, that's what I've been saying. These ebay motors are too strong as they're not the correct PN, and they start to separate the plastic clam shell housing when they spin up. I think you have to either glue the clam shell housing together, or just get the entire oem actuator.
Yeah I just bought a new oem one. I tore it apart yesterday trying to figure it out but even if I held the case down tightly it still did the noise. My guess is that torquie motor broke something. You had the same problem?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
The first one ripped the housing a part, and the actuator would go nuts (because the resistance would change). The second one sounds like the motor broke. I too ended up buying two actuator.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The first one ripped the housing a part, and the actuator would go nuts (because the resistance would change). The second one sounds like the motor broke. I too ended up buying two actuator.
Dang.. So much for a DIY. I guess we're all better off buying new oem actuators

ekks sorry you guys are having so much trouble with it. its been nearly three years and no issues so far (fingers crossed).

i did notice a noise after i was done and suspected it was because i didn't have a good seal of the housing. i didn't have any glue around so i took two or three zip ties and strapped the housing closed.

Getting a whole new actuator would probably be ideal since its a removal and replacement activity. But getting a motor is economical for some and in theory you are putting in a "new" motor and not a potentially used actuator that may have the same issues as the original ones.

I apologize for any trouble that this guide may have caused you.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
No the DIY is great. My new motor I purchased seemed to have too much torque. When I unlocked the door it was really aggressive lol and two weeks later it broke something inside.

Maybe it I got a more powerful version of those motors idk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No the DIY is great. My new motor I purchased seemed to have too much torque. When I unlocked the door it was really aggressive lol and two weeks later it broke something inside.

Maybe it I got a more powerful version of those motors idk.
Same issue here. After I put the new motor in, the door lock was slamming open and shut much harder than ever before. A few months later the cranking/rattling noise started on unlocks. Now I'm spending the extra $ on a complete replacement actuator just to know I only have to bust my knuckles in that door cavity one more time rather than keep fiddling with the repaired one.

More power to ya if you can get the cheap fix to work, it's well worth a shot. My shot just didn't last.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
ekks sorry you guys are having so much trouble with it. its been nearly three years and no issues so far (fingers crossed).

i did notice a noise after i was done and suspected it was because i didn't have a good seal of the housing. i didn't have any glue around so i took two or three zip ties and strapped the housing closed.

Getting a whole new actuator would probably be ideal since its a removal and replacement activity. But getting a motor is economical for some and in theory you are putting in a "new" motor and not a potentially used actuator that may have the same issues as the original ones.

I apologize for any trouble that this guide may have caused you.
Oh no, don't get us wrong. Your guide has been super helpful! It's not your fault as the ebay vendors ran out of the correct motor, and has been selling another motor that is just a bit too strong (without telling the end user).

·
Registered
252 Posts
So nobody knows for sure which one our car needs to work correctly?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
So nobody knows for sure which one our car needs to work correctly?
I believe the OE ones from the dealer are fine but the aftermarket ones such as the ones on eBay, Rockauto, etc(OES) are much stronger and is recommended to epoxy/zip tye the housing.
Like this one, a more powerful one..2002 LEXUS IS300 Door Lock Actuator
Johnny, is that correct?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Hi Jason. The link you posted is for the actuator. AFAIK last time I checked ebay no one was selling the correct motor (the PN was slightly different).

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Hi Jason. The link you posted is for the actuator. AFAIK last time I checked ebay no one was selling the correct motor (the PN was slightly different).
Hey Johnny, thanks for your clarification. I knew you would know better than me as I recall you had to do swap a replacement. Your input is always appreciated!

81 - 100 of 143 Posts