Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok so We were able to get the black plastic cover and the metal cover off to reveal all the metal gears and internals...BUT I don't know what piece to touch in order to get the huge heavy black latch to release from the striker.... Can anyone please help with photos or something of where to push or pull in order to release that dang latch!!!

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
You should probably upload a pix illustrating your problem, since you have the assembly out of the car and we don't.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You should probably upload a pix illustrating your problem, since you have the assembly out of the car and we don't.
I can't get pics of it because The door is closed with the locking mechanism and it's stuck, I can't open it from inside or outside... I just need to know what tab I need to push or pull in order to release the latch on the mechanism..it's this huge black metal magnetic thingy?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I would pull on the rods that would normally be connected to the door handles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The rods are off heheh... They were not placed back in the right position...that's why I have to use my fingers or screwdriver in order to pull on something that normally the rods would release the latch.... sorry I really don't mean to be so difficult!~!! Like I said I really screwed the pooch on this one..

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
And you can't pull on the cable that connects the locking mechanism to the interior door handle?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I suggest you study these two pix from previous post in this thread and see if you can move any of the levers that the wires or hooks attaches to.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I can't remember which one is which, but one is for the lock, and one is for the latch.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
See where I circled in red?

I think one of the arm from the actuator is suppose to poke through one of these holes and rotate the piece up and down around the screwto the left. I would stick a screw driver in one of the holes and try to move it up and down to release the latch.

From this pix, if you look at the cable at the top, it looks like the cable from the interior lock is still attached:

Make sure you've unlocked the door before you try to release the latch.

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure the black plastic peg (first red circle from top) is suppose to fit through one of the holes (2nd and 3rd red circle from top). I can't recall which one.

From this pix, I'm guessing it goes into the first hole (circled in red)

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
BTW, you'd probably want to grease it up when you're done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes sir !! I've tried all that!!! The black peg used to be on the top hole...but then removing the black plastic piece it came loose. There's play on that bottom mechanism. Like you said, it goes up and down... I tried playing with it..but latch does not release..

I have it on unlock as well.. but maybe the cable is not unlocking right?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Have you try pushing the metal plate it ALL the way up with the doors unlocked? That should work, as you wouldn't have dissemble the latch mechanism when you were swapping out the actuator. Both the interior and exterior door handle to release the latch attaches to the actuator, which in turn attaches to the latch mechanism via the black plastic piece.

Did you mess around with the cable that attaches to the locking mechanism? Does it sound like it is doing anything when you lock or unlock manually?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I know nothing about the latch mechanism, but it looks like the the manual lock cable could tug or release the arm it is attache to, which could allow the piece with the blue plastic to rotate and slide up and down the curved track and allow the metal plate piece to swing. That could be the locking mechanism. I would try locking and unlocking the locks to see if the blue piece is moving or not, or try sliding the blue plastic piece to see if I can rotate the metal plate piece to release the latch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok so when I pull the screwdriver (in the hole) up that blue piece slides up. I think that unlocks the mechanism.

Then when I pull the door knob, the gold piece above the actuator mechanism rotates up and down...

I think the key to releasing the latch is in that gold piece on top?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
The interior manual door handle and the locks, play around with it to see which one attaches to the gold piece and which one attaches to the black plastic piece. That should tell you which one is the lock and which one is for the latch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I took some more pics when I got the plastic piece to slide up. It's when I rotated the bottom piece (that connects to the actuator black peg) I pulled it all the way up and that's how I got the blue piece to join with the gold piece above it.

Then when I pull on the door knob (inside) the blue piece moves along inside it's path, and the gold piece rotates counter clockwise downwards.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200095563894618.198859.1315642916&type=1

·
Registered
147 Posts
The gold piece as you can see, has a phallic shaped hole, which is the pathway for the rod that attaches to the outside door knob. That gold piece is supposed to hit something that releases the latch. Which must be the thing that I didn't put back on right... I can't for the life of me figure out what the gold piece is supposed to do in order to release the latch...

41 - 60 of 143 Posts