Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
^^ you probably have the weaker springs installed... i understand it was not uncommon for dealers to not even know there was an optional heavy duty spring set for the 2001 spec cars w/the orig. trunk spoilers & again for the smaller trunk spoiler (2002 on..).

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Can you find a different aftermarket lift for a 92-95 Camry?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
i have found several on line and i know my local auto parts stores has a rack of these also... .. one brand is "Strong Arm" and i have seen others... just wanted to get as much onfo as possible on these lifts so i can ID the right one for the gig..

im sure there are probably several that will work... but a basic measurement would help narrow it all down to a tighter range.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My car had been converted to a single strut befor I got it but was blown, at the time I thought it was stock till I realized I couldn't find any listed. I got one off eBay for 35lbs last year I believe it was 9" post to post closed and 16" open the way mines setup but there's a bracket made up that bolts it around the same distance as the pics on the first page but the 35lb I got is not strong enough to do the job just haven't swapped it yet

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reviving this thread once again, I just did the mod and it works amazing. Like OP said, getting the Rivet out was extremely difficult, I used a saw and found the opening and just went to town with that. Also as a FYI the mighty lift's are very strong and makes it a bit difficult to close the trunk. I would suggest the next person who wants to try this to maybe find slightly less powerful lifts.

·
Formerly known as 01WaIS
635 Posts
I did this mod a couple weekends ago, was pretty straightforward. I picked up a CF trunk, so I was looking for options besides the OEM torsion bars.

However, the OEM Camry hood struts I bought are wayyy too strong for the CF trunk, should I be worried about the excess pressure causing stress marks/cracks in the trunk..? I noticed on Seibons website, they highly recommend switching out to avoid this. I've asked around quite a bit, and can't seem to find a concrete answer. Any others done this mod with a CF trunk? How's it holding up (no pun intended). Lol

Reactions: IS3_FTW

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 for another successful trunk modification complete. It really helped to compress the tension rods in a door before hand. Also, drilling the rivets out was the way to go. Also, using needle nose pliers and a wrench (vertically) helped get the ball sockets correctly in and fairly tight...its tough! Much thanks to OP for this.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Angel9875

Try viewing my.is through Google Chrome and add the extension "Photobucket Embedded Image Fix" to the Chrome browser. This extension will bring back the images.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New bump from a new member. I’m looking to do this mod since the brackets that hold my torsion bars have broken off and although a complete bracket/bar/hinge assy is cheap to buy, the work involved to fit it looks insane! So I’m looking to fit a pair of struts like this as the raider option - BUT being from the UK, it’s not as simple as getting the struts for a 92-95 Camry, since it doesn’t even seem possible to get those struts over here.

So I’m looking at the universal route, which brings me to a few questions if anyone is able to answer for me.

1) size. I saw 16” (extended) mentioned. Can anyone who’s done it measure up for me please?
2) strength/lift pressure. I seem to have the option, in most cases, to chose pressure strength: 200, 300, 400 right up to 800N (Newton?) but what N do I actually need? I don’t need cat launching power 😆 but I’d like it to open fully when popped.
3) because I can’t get the Camry ones, I pretty much seem to only have he choice of ball socket on both ends or eyelet on both ends, but not one of each as per the OP’s struts. I figure I could probably do this with eyelets in each end, and use eyelet bolts fitted through the body at the back end. Would this work with the ball socket ones on both ends?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that! Such a shame we can't get those over here, they'd probably be the easiest option.

So looks like they're 600mm long, and rated at 544N - what are people saying about the length on these? Are they too long (so stay partially compressed with then trunk is fully open) and are people still saying the power is a little strong (seeing as there's two of them)

·
3,221 Posts
Thanks for that! Such a shame we can't get those over here, they'd probably be the easiest option.

So looks like they're 600mm long, and rated at 544N - what are people saying about the length on these? Are they too long (so stay partially compressed with then trunk is fully open) and are people still saying the power is a little strong (seeing as there's two of them)
Power is high. The mounting takes care of the size and stroke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Climbed in the boot today for some “proper” measurements - looks like at full extension there’s ~400mm (15.75”) and at full compression ~200mm (7.87”). So I think I’m searching for 400/450mm struts that compress to under 200mm, with a force each about 400N. I’m mainly finding ones with ball sockets are each end, but I think I can change these out to eyelet style on one end.

·
3,221 Posts
Climbed in the boot today for some “proper” measurements - looks like at full extension there’s ~400mm (15.75”) and at full compression ~200mm (7.87”). So I think I’m searching for 400/450mm struts that compress to under 200mm, with a force each about 400N. I’m mainly finding ones with ball sockets are each end, but I think I can change these out to eyelet style on one end.
Sounds good. Keep us posted.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts