Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
i guess i have a problem cuz i always feel like doing something to my car. even when it's done, i wanna find something else to do to it. so i will definitely do this in the next few days.

this is kind of irrelevant, though. but how/why are your brake lights flashing like the turn signals would be if you were to press the hazard button?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
LOjalvo said:
i guess i have a problem cuz i always feel like doing something to my car. even when it's done, i wanna find something else to do to it. so i will definitely do this in the next few days.

this is kind of irrelevant, though. but how/why are your brake lights flashing like the turn signals would be if you were to press the hazard button?
I knew one of the elite would ask eventually...The alarm is going off in the video (its in silent mode)

Its the viper alarm that came on the car when I got it. It sucks b/c I don't really know how to use it. I had it disabled till a few days ago b/c its such an annoyance. I've since then figured it out ;)

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also, the struts that I used for this are replacements for the Toyota Camry hood. They cost me about $60 for the pair but I think any Camry hood lifters will work so if you plan on doing this i would try to find them cheaper.

I just grabbed these because i took my measurements in the parking lot and if they didn't work for me I could go to the store 5 min away and return them;)

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
ItalynStylion said:
I don't know if anyone needs steps for this process but I can write them out if the pics aren't as self explanatory as I thought...
im sure if i actually went at physically did it, i might not be asking this. but i looked in my trunk and figured it might be best if you were able to give a pretty brief write up (along the lines of: removed this, drilled here using a ____ size drill bit, first bolted this on, then this one, blah blah, etc.)

also, i was kind of worried about getting the exact size nuts and bolts. any details??

thanks in advance!

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
okay. nevermind. i went out and got the might lifts today. now i fully understand the hardware i will need. so thats not my question anymore, but now i am wondering about the following:

you mentioned perhaps drilling the hole where the steel is double-layered instead of right next to that circle cut-out. would doing that cause these lifters to not be aligned perfectly straight back? in other words, does the pressure that is applied to these lifters when we push down on the trunk to close it NECISARILLY need to be perfectly straight or can these be bolted on an angle?

(i hope im making myself clear. if not, let me know so i can try to rephrase the question).

thanks again

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
LOjalvo said:
in other words, does the pressure that is applied to these lifters when we push down on the trunk to close it NECISARILLY need to be perfectly straight or can these be bolted on an angle?

(i hope im making myself clear. if not, let me know so i can try to rephrase the question).

thanks again
I totally understand what you mean because I thought the same thing too when I was doing it. I'm not really sure what the answer is on that though. I think the only thing that would fail from them being at an angle is the socket connector side of the lift but it seems pretty sturdy.

Mine arent PERFECTLY straight but its pretty good. My main concern when drilling that hole was the ability to get a nut on the other side of the bolt through that hole that was already there ;)

By the way, the metal on mine that bent just a little hasnt bent any more. Once the lifts broke in they are a little more civil. I would suggest fully compressing them a few times first. I realize that is almost impossible but you gotta get creative. I used a metal door and the doorjam to compress them :)

Let me know if you need anymore ideas.

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
ItalynStylion said:
I would suggest fully compressing them a few times first. I realize that is almost impossible but you gotta get creative. I used a metal door and the doorjam to compress them :)

Let me know if you need anymore ideas.
yea! i wasnt aware of this, but apparently, the first time, and from what i've heard ONLY the first time is ridiculously hard to compress the lever. after that, it apparently gets easier, like you also mentioned.
i therefore dont wanna try compressing them the first few times with my trunk itself cuz it seems like something might snap.

metal door and door jam? i'm not sure what you mean, care to demonstrate?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
LOjalvo said:
metal door and door jam? i'm not sure what you mean, care to demonstrate?
Absolutely!
Pretend that this highlighter is the lifter. This door is wood and so is the door jam but I'm in the dorm so thats what i have. Find a door that has a door jam that isnt wood so it wont leave a dent because of the force, doesnt matter really but hey its your door jam so make the call.
Then close the door so it pinches the lifter between the door and the door jam. It will take a lot of force but it should close.

REMEMBER: as it starts to shut the angle of the lifter on the door will start to change as the gap gets smaller. Try and overcompensate for this when lining it up before you start to close the door.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
ItalynStylion said:
Oh, and another feature of the kit is the ability to launch stray cats that sit on your trunk with a push of the keyfob!

i can do that... lol just get a cf trunk...

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lexotic Concepts said:
i can do that... lol just get a cf trunk...
Can you imagine if I had a CF trunk?
...............trebuchet, woooooohoooooooooo!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im just trying to get as much info as possible before I start drilling,.... It looks like you had to drill 3 holes in order to get the right clearance between the struts and the trunk (when open I assume). Could you tell me the distance between the middle hole (the one that you used) and the hinge under the deck lid.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The lowest hole was already there from the part where the torsion bar attaches to the trunk lid bar. You have to get those rivets out first then that hole will be there. I would drill a hole about an inch higher than the stock hole that the rivet came out of...

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The hole on top was my first trial that didnt work out. It was too high and the angle of the strut was too severe and the body of the strut would hit the metal where it was attached in far back of the trunk

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
HOW THE F*****************CK DO I TIGHTEN THAT F************CKIN NUT FOR THE BALL CONNECTOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

so this is my story so far:
removed the torsion bars FIRST, i dont know if this was the right thing to do or not, but the trunk slammed on my knee (i knew it would come flying down, but as i was fighting so hard with the second torsion bar, my leg that was up to stop the trunk from falling fell out of place and the trunk came flying down).

had to have my roommate hold up the trunk for like half an hour while i drilled a hole for the ball connector (it took FOREVER because my drill could obviously not access that small area, so MY GOD was that a pain. i created a tiny hole by hammering a VERY pointy SCREW as hard as i could for a few minutes. THEN i created a slightly bigger hole by drilling will a DRILL BIT TIP FOR A SCREW. then i was finally able to put a 5/16" drill in at an angle).

so after a REALLY messed up knee and a nasty slice on my hand, i had a hole.
turns out the hole was WAY too far from the existing circular opening to ever try and get a nut tightened up there. now that i knew how to do it, though, it took my like 5 minutes to drill a new hole much closer to the circular opening. i then made my ORIGINAL hole MUCH bigger so i could stick one finger in there to be able to guide a washer and a nut to the right place (i used an angle-nosed plier to get the washer and nut thru the circular opening, and with one pinkie kinda guided it into place.

SO AFTER ALL THIS: my trunk alignment is off and the trunk doesnt close unless i slam it a few times (when i got my CWest body kit put on, my trunk didnt close easily anymore because of some tabs that were on the rear bumper, so i used to have to slam it anyways to close it.) but now i throw it almost as hard as i can and it doesnt close. only after a few tries it'll close, but i feel like im gunna brake something.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, 1) how do i get that nut locked in place without drilling TWO holes?
2) with the second lever in place, you think my trunk will lign up correctly again???

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
neat project bro!

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
NEVERMIND! i finished it. turns out this was much easier to do in the DAYLIGHT than as the sun was going down. for the second one, i just ligned up the nut FIRST, then held it in place, THEN screwed the ball connector INTO it, instead of the other way around. RUBBER STOPPERS ARE KEY because without them, the metal where the ball connectors are kept bending back and forth and back and forth. now it just stays in place.

SOOO, turned out pretty cool, the ONLY bad thing is my drunk opens a bit less than it did before, and i already hit my head once.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
LOjalvo said:
NEVERMIND! i finished it. turns out this was much easier to do in the DAYLIGHT than as the sun was going down. for the second one, i just ligned up the nut FIRST, then held it in place, THEN screwed the ball connector INTO it, instead of the other way around. RUBBER STOPPERS ARE KEY because without them, the metal where the ball connectors are kept bending back and forth and back and forth. now it just stays in place.

SOOO, turned out pretty cool, the ONLY bad thing is my drunk opens a bit less than it did before, and i already hit my head once.
The amount that the trunk opens is determined by where you drill the holes. The farther up (higher) you drill the hole on the trunk lid bar the more the trunk will open. Mine opens 98% of what the stock trunk would open with my bump stops in.

I think you are right, the only reason that metal bent a little in mine is because I opened it a few times before I made the bump stops.

Glad it worked out for you!

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Oh, and I feel you about having the trunk fall on you bro. I had it propped open with a big umbrella and i was laying in the trunk with my entire body crammed in there and the damn thing fell!

It slammed shut in a millisecond then I was inside the trunk in the fetal position and it was DEAD quiet thinking to myself, "holy shit I almost died!!!!!!!!"
I got to use that glow in the dark trunk release thats on the trunk lid...handy

21 - 40 of 79 Posts