Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I posted a week ago about finding a compromise to the trunk torsion bars. After takings some measurements I went to O'Reillys Auto Parts and bought some trunk lifter struts that I thought might work. Everything worked out great!

What you will need:
2 metric nuts for the ball connector (don't know what size)
2 Bolts 2in. long
2 or 4 rubber stoppers (for bump stops if you want them)
2 packs of Mighty Lift! Gas lift supports for the 92-95 Toyota Camry's hood

This is the package of the lifters I got. It comes with a bolt that has a ball on the end that acts like a ball in socket joint for one end of the lifters.

Underside of the rear deck showing where to drill and put the ball joint bolt...

Profile of the bolt area...

New Bump stops made from rubber stoppers

The whooooole enchilada
(also showing that the existing hole with the other side of the bolt)

I don't know if anyone needs steps for this process but I can write them out if the pics aren't as self explanatory as I thought...

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and the verdict is: Waaaaaaay better than stock...shoots up quick which is why I recommend the bump stops

·
Registered
240 Posts
hey..can i see the pic when it opens? just wanna see how it clears the corner between those bolts.... i want this mod cuz my spoiler is heavy..=)

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gary_youngster said:
hey..can i see the pic when it opens? just wanna see how it clears the corner between those bolts.... i want this mod cuz my spoiler is heavy..=)
I just shot a short video for you man, but youtube is down i think...WTF?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here you go my friend, if your spoiler is heavy this will solve that;)

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and another feature of the kit is the ability to launch stray cats that sit on your trunk with a push of the keyfob!

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bigkahuna2187 said:
^^^hahahhahaha

so where do you get these "Mighty Lift!" things at?

I think they might have them at Autozone too, not sure though.
Either way, I think the brand isn't what matters. Just make sure you get the replacement lifters for the Toyota Camry hood. They should all be the same thing ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
damn man thats awesome...def will look into gettin me some...how long did the overall project take you?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
that is pretty neat and creative. +rep

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nice work. One thing I noticed is that spot you mounted the ball to the chassis seems a bit weak. Are you worried about it breaking after a while?

You could always put some 11 ga steel behind it I guess.

Good job regardless. I might do this once all my lights are done. I hate those torsion bars. +rep

Nate

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
so how much did the overall project cost you? it seems like a fun little project but i wouldnt really want to spend anything over $70-80 just to have my trunk open faster.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Looks good I was thinking of doing something similar with linear actuators.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To answer all the questions that were asked all at once...

It took me about 2 hours but I was pioneering this shit and was slow since it was the first time. I'm guessing an hour maybe a little more just because it's a tight space to work and getting rivets out is a BIATCH!

Nate, you are right. I knew that spot wasn't super strong but i think it will be fine. If you drill close to that spot where the metal overlaps it should be a little stonger. Mine bent just a touch to correct the angle for the lift but thats all it will do I believe. If you find weaker struts I doubt it will be a problem since most of the force is due to compressing the struts.

The whole thing cost about $70. It was about $64 for the lifters and a few bucks for the bolts you will need to connect everything.

Baadhabit, I did this because I'm putting 6.5" subs in the rear deck and I needed the bars to GTFO so I can attach small sealed enclosures to the bottom of the deck. Also, I had a similar torsion bar setup in my Honda Prelude and with my sub in the trunk the bars used to rattle and drive me nuts! I took them out but wasn't brave enough at that age to do what I did to this car so I just lived with a heavy ass trunk lid that never stayed open....damn that shit hurt when it came down on ya!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Have you tried using just a single gas lifter. I would sense that would slow down the violent opening while still providing the force needed to lift the park bench wings out there.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Cool mod.
I like the launching cat ability that it gives you. Although that thing looks it might be able to launch a small child as well. ;)

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mrcs007 said:
Have you tried using just a single gas lifter. I would sense that would slow down the violent opening while still providing the force needed to lift the park bench wings out there.
I did try one at first. It will hold the trunk open but it will not open the trunk on its own because it's not strong enough by itself.

When I shot the video it was the first day of opening the trunk and the struts had yet to be broken in yet. They have mellowed out a little bit and I REALLY like it now. Its perfect, and I mean that!

This is how it should have come from the factory...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts