Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the benefit of tips from this forum for many years of happy IS300 ownership – so I felt obligated to finally make an account to post a tip that I didn't find here and had to figure out myself: replacing the foglight bulbs specifically for the IS300 Sportcross, which is totally different than the sedan.

Unlike the sedan, you can't just remove a couple of bolts from the side of the lamp housing and remove it from the bumper. The secret is that you can access the bulb replacement without removing the lamp housing by going in from the wheel well. It's super easy.

To make access a bit easier, turn the wheel inward for the side you're working on. In the front part of the wheel well, you'll see two circular body clips. For each, use a small flathead screwdriver to pop the top and then remove the clip. Once you've done that, you should be able to pull the wheel well plastic into the wheel area, flexing the body just slightly to get it free. The wheel well plastic will bend, but it's okay; it's quite flexible.

Once you've pulled it forward enough to get a few inches of gap, look into the area you can now access behind the bumper. You'll see the large round connector on the back of the fog light. Reach in and turn it counterclockwise a quarter turn to remove it, revealing the back of the funny-looking foglight bulb. If you have the replacement bulb, you'll see that it has its own spade connector on a short wire; pull the connector of the old bulb to free it. There's then a little wire clip that holds the bulb in. Unclip that and remove the bulb.

Now just undo it all in reverse and you're done!

I had half removed my bumper before realizing the above was possible. Knowing you can go in from the wheel well makes it a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough. All of the youtube videos and other information I was finding talked about uninstalling the whole lamp through from the front, so I thought this might be news to somebody, especially Sportcross owners who don't have the option.

·
Mr. Roo
9,809 Posts
Fair enough. All of the youtube videos and other information I was finding talked about uninstalling the whole lamp through from the front, so I thought this might be news to somebody, especially Sportcross owners who don't have the option.
That's actually interesting, because I never thought to try and get the fog light off from the front (never saw it mentioned anywhere either). But I suppose if you have tiny fingers you could get them in that air hole with a wrench making tiny turns on the bolts. Way easier to just go from the back like you described.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts