Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see there is a DIY for the headlights but not for the fogs, so I thought "why not" :)

Tools:

1) Oven, oven mitt
2) Screwdriver (flat-nose and phillips)
3) Spray paint of choice. I used VHT Niteshade.
4) primer if necessary, I didn't use any cause I tried to get that Dark Chrome look
5) sand paper: 220, 1000, 2000 grit. could go lower and/or higher if you want.
6) Meguiars Plast-X
7) Clear silicone
8) optional: clear vinyl with need hairdryer and some invisible glass or water/alcohol mix and a spreader.

Step 1: Get your fogs lights out. Unclip the wiring harness by taking off the wheels, putting the car on jack stands and pulling back the fender liner, detaching the wiring harness then taking off the 2 bolts hold on the fogs. I undid them from the front of the car through the small slit between the fog light and the lower grill/mesh.

Step 2: take them apart by taking off the rear caps, and getting the bulbs out.

Step 3: preheat the oven to 350*F. put them in there for 5 minutes.

Step 4: once they're out but still hot, take the flat nose screw driver and pry up the tabs and then pull them apart using two gloves or something to protect your hands from getting burnt; I used a towel hah

Step 5: Clean up the silicone from the lens by pushing it back into the plastic valley. This will make it easiest to put some more silicone when you're putting them back together.

Step 6 (OPTIONAL STEP): You can do this or choose not to but I didn't want the projector lense to be yellow so I wet-sanded them with said sand paper. you need to unscrew 2 screws with a phillips screw driver. Obviously you work your way up from the lowest grit to the highest grit. It takes a LONG-ass time. I was going at it for like 15 minutes till I started to see the yellow disappear haha You ONLY NEED TO SAND DOWN THE FLAT SPOT OF THE LENS, THAT IS THE ONLY PART THAT IS COLOURED!

Step 7: Spray the housing, you'll have to take it out of the plastic lens. I didn't put any primer because obviously all I wanted to do was darken the OEM chrome housing. I put too many coats, I think I did 5. 3 should be enough.

Step 8: Put the glass lens back in the fog light and the housing in the plastic lens part. Preheat the oven to 350F again and put the 2 parts of the fogs separately in. You just want to make the OEM silicone soft.

Step 9: Take out the 2 pieces of each fog light, apply a small line of clear silicone along the edge of the black part of the fog lights and press the two pieces of the fogs lights together. You may want to use clamps. Make sure that the tabs on the fogs are back to where they should be.

Step 10: now that you have painted the fogs, you most likely need to clean up the lenses. Wet sand them with 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper.

Step 11: after the 2000 grit sand paper you may want to use the PlastX to clean them up a little more. I used by Porter Cable 7424XP Dual action polisher.

Step 12: next step is to apply the vinyl. Cut a small piece, just enough to cover the fogs. I spray the fogs with invisible glass to make applying the vinyl easier. Work your way from the center to the edges of the fogs. This was my first time doing this so I had to re-do it a couple times. You can use the hairdryer to stretch the vinyl and to get rid of some small air bubbles. Air bubbles may occur although they usually go away after sitting for a few hours. Cut the excess vinyl with a SHARP razor blade.

Step 13: re-install them once they're dry :)

Thanks for reading! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
nice!!! I'm still debating if i want to sand down the yellow lens... although i still like the yellow lighting

how well does that vinyl stuff work/ hold up?? sounds like a great idea for my fogs and new headlights. is that the same stuff that a tint shop would use

·
Registered
55 Posts
you should have made a DIY for venture shield install;) i want it on my front end now when i get it back from paint! i see the front bumper being verry difficult

·
Formerly known as 01WaIS
635 Posts
I think they came out looking great. IMO, don't tint the head lights, but do the same exact thing by opening them and VHTing the insides.
This. :) Car is looking good as always Jeremy!

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
Don't use silicone, again DO NOT USE SILICONE!!! Silicone gets hard over time and pulls away, silicone and butyl don't mix together, don't bond together and just flat out don't work together.

D

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Are windshield sealant butyl?

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
yes u can use that, it's a little harder but still works great, make a thin bead of it and place in the seal of the light or like i do on older lights is i make a seal on the edge of the lens.

D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts