Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to try clear coat my L-Tuned grill this afternoon while painting my calipers. I know that everybody has been frustrated by the hideous peeling of the CF of the TRD grill, hence I decided to use the Duplicolor clear coat spray on my grill.

Whether this really works, we'll have to see over time but I feel that this clear coat will at least cover and wrap around the CF surface so as to prevent any peeling off or chipping off. I gave the grill three seperate coats, of course allowing enough time for each coat to dry.

I was further assured that this clear coat could prove be good protection when I used a a penknife to scrape off a bit of grass that got stuck and in doing so, peeled off a dried piece of the clear coat, in which I then resprayed and left to dry.

I just wanted to post this unproven yet simple method of prolonging the life of the TRD or any other grill you members have on your car.

Before spraying the clear coat:

Pic of the actual Duplicolor Clear Coar purchased from Autozone:

Notice the glossy finish on drying the grill after the third spraying of the clear coat:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
"does anyone want to buy an MSM trunk w/ TRD spoiler...?"

lol nice job mang =D

-Aaron

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Good work.

I'd suggest to stay away from duplicolor paints.
Testors makes a clear coat enamel which I like.

I would take off the grill before doing it.
And it will certainly offer some sort of protection against peeling.
If you do get chips in the grill, you can re-clear and it will cover the chips.

·
Registered
311 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
Good work.

I'd suggest to stay away from duplicolor paints.
Testors makes a clear coat enamel which I like.

I would take off the grill before doing it.
And it will certainly offer some sort of protection against peeling.
If you do get chips in the grill, you can re-clear and it will cover the chips.
Why stay away from Dupicolor Sophie?

Man I was just going to post a thread like is. I just bought the TRD IS300 Carbon Fiber (wannabe) Grille and wanted some way of protecting it.

Should I remove the emblem before using the clear coat? Will it be safe to wash?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hey buddy,
I have used Dupicolor on some projects a few times and I wasn't satisfied with it. I tried Testors clear coat and I loved it! It is alot better and gives a better "glossy" look. I used it when I painted my "L" emblem and it looks good. Testors is not like professional automotive paint but it is good for the money :) You can find Testors in any hobby store, most likely in stores where they sell RC car products. I would remove the emblem before using clear but it's not neccessary. Good luck.

Kian

JudeBaldo said:
Why stay away from Dupicolor Sophie?

Man I was just going to post a thread like is. I just bought the TRD IS300 Carbon Fiber (wannabe) Grille and wanted some way of protecting it.

Should I remove the emblem before using the clear coat? Will it be safe to wash?

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
heyitzkian said:
Hey buddy,
I have used Dupicolor on some projects a few times and I wasn't satisfied with it. I tried Testors clear coat and I loved it! It is alot better and gives a better "glossy" look. I used it when I painted my "L" emblem and it looks good. Testors is not like professional automotive paint but it is good for the money :) You can find Testors in any hobby store, most likely in stores where they sell RC car products. I would remove the emblem before using clear but it's not neccessary. Good luck.

Kian
Yep agreed...

Duplicolor is shit. If yo ucan find it, look for rust-oleum HARD HAT. It is awesome

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh and +rep to Inspar8r and Kian. Thanks guys.

can I clear coat the emblem also? I don't want the red paint peeling off.

Sorry can't give out any +rep at the moment.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would just take off the emblem if you want to make sure nothing will happen, only takes a couple of seconds. Good luck.

Kian
JudeBaldo said:
Oh and +rep to Inspar8r and Kian. Thanks guys.

can I clear coat the emblem also? I don't want the red paint peeling off.

Sorry can't give out any +rep at the moment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i've used duplicolor on a lot of smaller grill projects, as long as you prep and paint right, it comes out very nice, but not 'professional quality'

·
Registered
705 Posts
i apologize for bumping a 5 month old thread but wat do u mean by prep it. tomorrow im gonna order the TRD CF grill and dont want it to peel or chip like all of u guys. i mean its gonna come brand new out of the box then wat? just spray on the clear coat or do i have to like clean a brand new grill?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts