Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just tried helping out another member and figured it would be useful. Sorry for the bad pictures, I did not have enough lighting and my camera is not the best.










I forgot to add this step. This step is very important.
Be sure to clean these items too which are on the MAF sensor as well.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
why do you have to press the brake pedal 10 times inorder to reset the ECU?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,954 Posts
the last part I believe is a myth lol..


I never have done it and nothing has come of it bad at least :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMPRIMIS said:
the last part I believe is a myth lol..


I never have done it and nothing has come of it bad at least :)
That is what I was told to do, it doesn't hurt to take the time and do it Jason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,954 Posts
I know, I just never have done it on my IS or my tibby.....I do see it as a step all the time and wonder sometimes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
You forgot one more very important part (I know it's been mentioned in several of the other MAF cleaning how-to's). Be sure to spray the electronics cleaner on the two tiny filaments inside the cylindrical tube part of the MAF sensor.

This picture should help:



Just don't shake yours to dry it after spraying. Here's the URL where that picture is from

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge/index.php?page=index_v2&id=50&c=9

-J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,339 Posts
blue_j said:
You forgot one more very important part (I know it's been mentioned in several of the other MAF cleaning how-to's). Be sure to spray the electronics cleaner on the two tiny filaments inside the cylindrical tube part of the MAF sensor.

This picture should help:

Just don't shake yours to dry it after spraying. Here's the URL where that picture is from

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge/index.php?page=index_v2&id=50&c=9

-J
Yes indeed, that is the most critical part of cleaning MAF sensor, without that step, the MAF sensor is still dirty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
crontab said:
Yes indeed, that is the most critical part of cleaning MAF sensor, without that step, the MAF sensor is still dirty.

I totally forgot that part. Sorry for not including it on the first time. Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
after cleaning

has anybody noticed any difference after cleaning their MAF?
Was yours visibly dirty before cleaning?
sometimes with the power button on, my car sort of stalls before it shifts after 3k rpm with auto. I was thinking of doing this to see it it helped. thanks for any input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,197 Posts
geneod said:
has anybody noticed any difference after cleaning their MAF?
Was yours visibly dirty before cleaning?
sometimes with the power button on, my car sort of stalls before it shifts after 3k rpm with auto. I was thinking of doing this to see it it helped. thanks for any input
My MAF sensor was visibly dirty. Caked on dust/dirt on the external element and the filaments inside the cylinder were slightly dusty brown. My car was being sluggish, particularly on the freeway, almost like cruise control was kicking in randomly, causing the car to slow down, like it was fighting something. That prompted me to clean it and it's been much better ever since. I'm going to check it more regularly now for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
1 rep for u!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
geneod said:
has anybody noticed any difference after cleaning their MAF?
Was yours visibly dirty before cleaning?
sometimes with the power button on, my car sort of stalls before it shifts after 3k rpm with auto. I was thinking of doing this to see it it helped. thanks for any input
YES!

the car is smoother and it seems a little faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,269 Posts
I usually take it off via screws and the harness. Then, dip it in a half bowl of peroxide, then re-oil with silicon spray.

Car does't start after, but it is clean as hell
 
1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Top