Lexus IS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi!

I will install my TITAN Cam Gear soon, so i want to check if my plan is right.

0) Install two O2 Sims
1) Adjust Cam Gear to -3.5
2) Tighten the 5 nuts with 48 inch pounds, which means only 6Nm (?!) and use Loctite 243
3) Timing Belt Change, Water Pump Change and so on
4) Start der Car und have fun?!

Or do i have to install the cam gear with setting 0° and adjust it when its mounted?

Here is the pic, i think i have to fasten it like the pic below.

I'm glad to get some help, rest of the setup is original IS300, except muffler.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Install cam gear at 0 and adjust it once everything is re installed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
+1 rep

Nice writeup, +1 rep. Just ordered a fidanza-cam-gear. Got two questions about the install.

-How many degrees can I go before 02-sims are needed?

-Can I use my old timing belt and waterpump again (car has 32.000 miles on it)?

·
Registered
246 Posts
+1 rep

Nice writeup, +1 rep. Just ordered a fidanza-cam-gear. Got two questions about the install.

-How many degrees can I go before 02-sims are needed?

-Can I use my old timing belt and waterpump again (car has 32.000 miles on it)?
I dont know y u would need 02 sims for cams. Since the sims are usually for the Catalytic Converter efficiency sensors. But either he doesnt want to pay for those sensors, or is decatted on a stock manifold.

Inspect the Timing belt prior to installing the cam gear if it looks cracked or decaying change it while or before installing your cam gear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Th o2 thing I read earlier in this thread. I surelly missunderstood it, becaues there were mentioned headers, too.

Will watch out for cracks in the belt. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Lexus recommends the timing belt replaced at 6 years or 90k miles, whichever comes first , i would stick a new one on !

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the great tutorial, i did mine yesterday.

Preparation is everything, mark the old belt, the 3 gears, dismount the old belt,
mark the new like the old one and install everything like before:

Set to -4 lines (hopefully degrees on the cam itself). I dont like the construction of
all the adjustable cam gears, the hex screw on the back is not reachable, i
used some loctite 243 and secured the nuts in the front with 9.5Nm.
The screw should be connected to the other screws to prevent turning.

Looks great in the car, unfortunately there is a cover on it :)

I started up the car, but did not drive around, so lets see if there are power gains! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry to ressurrect an old thread (albeit a good DIY thread), I think Leonard mentioned the replacement of the cam gear will give a smoother power band but I cant wrap myself around that notion when all you're doing (before any -/+ adjustment) is replacing a pulley with another pulley. I can see the benefit with retardation and maybe thats what he meant and then add BC cams or the like. Am I right?
Arent those Megan headers making your car awfully loud? I know some like that result...lol
Also I like this DIY for replacing your timing belt at the same time if its due!

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Sorry to ressurrect an old thread (albeit a good DIY thread), I think Leonard mentioned the replacement of the cam gear will give a smoother power band but I cant wrap myself around that notion when all you're doing (before any -/+ adjustment) is replacing a pulley with another pulley. I can see the benefit with retardation and maybe thats what he meant and then add BC cams or the like. Am I right?
Arent those Megan headers making your car awfully loud? I know some like that result...lol
Also I like this DIY for replacing your timing belt at the same time if its due!
Dyno proven and better throttle response ...with changes ... Most adj cam gears are lighter at least my ur pulley is...if you are staying at "0" no reason to change pulley unless you was it to look pretty ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably a stupid question, but I need the posts to get access to the FS/FT section. Do you turn the inner part of the adjustable cam clockwise or counterclockwise to retard? Thanks. I am assuming you turn the inner part in the same direction as it rotates to retard. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to set the timing on 01 is300 3.0 2jz-ge vvti engine . Did head gasket and messed up by not marking timing and took head off and cams and now i reinstalled everything but cant figure timing out . Help me please . If i have #1 tdc and try to line cam gears up they wont turn but so far due to valves hitting . Took cams out and tried setting them and then tighten caps down but wont work because valves are trying to go down again .

·
Registered
6 Posts

Shared this on the timing belt DIY thread. This worked well for me to get the bolts off the cams while solo. I used a pair of bolt cutters, oddly enough, for the intake cam, and for some resistance while tightening.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just finished up my install over the weekend and just wanted to thank the OP and everyone else who contributed to this thread! It was invaluable info that greatly helped make the install go smoothly. I set mine to -3*, and the car def runs a little better...becuz my but dyno says so-lol. Here's a couple of pics:

Attachments

101 - 120 of 120 Posts