Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
-4 for the win..mines getting set there tomorrow!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Loosen the five or 3 bolts on the cam gear and put a 17mm wrench on the bolt holding the cam gear to the cam and very gently tap it towards the way you want. and make sure you tighten the 3 or 5 bolts so your cam gear does not slip.
Woohoo thats the answer i was looking for the whole time lol.

very good info as i just ordered my OBX cam gear.

i finally could relax...for a bit until i actually install it lol.

btw OBX is cheap on ebay. anyone know the reason why? ex. crappy material, not built correctly, or a ripoff?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Loosen the five or 3 bolts on the cam gear and put a 17mm wrench on the bolt holding the cam gear to the cam and very gently tap it towards the way you want. and make sure you tighten the 3 or 5 bolts so your cam gear does not slip.
So retarding the exhaust cam gear (to my preference) should be done after everything is properly installed right?

·
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Yes leave the cam gear at 0 till everything is installed and the car runs. There is no sense in creating a problem or helpping another problem out. Once the car has been started and it runs fine then I would retarde it.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
455 Posts
A tip when I did mine use white finger nail polish for marking:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
DOH was trying to figure out what to mark it with earlier when I was doing my cam gear install.

·
Registered
960 Posts
okay i tried taking off my oem cam but it seems to not be coming off. It keeps turning with the bolt? Am i doing this right nor not? Do i keep turning and have the cam come off with the bolt?

·
Registered
232 Posts
okay i tried taking off my oem cam but it seems to not be coming off. It keeps turning with the bolt? Am i doing this right nor not? Do i keep turning and have the cam come off with the bolt?
hold the crank pulley so the engine won't turn and then try to loosen the cam bolt, with the belt still on of course.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Hey Donnie.....is there a torque spec for those 5 bolts on the UR cam gear? How tight should it be?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Never mind^ Found it on their website.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did alot of reading and with our motors -4 yeilds the best results with an intake and exhaust. i have the Brian crower 264 cams and valve train, full exhaust, and intake i have the cam gear set to -4 and im all on the stock tune. slapping this cam gear on and setting it to -4 will be fine on stock tune but if your wanting to get the most out of your NA car and have an SAFC or something like that then a tune would not hurt at all!

A stock IS300 can have a cam gear set to -4 without messing anything up.
thanks for the clearing up! i was wondering where the negative 4 came from.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts