Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
What I'm asking is will I tear up my engine if I crank it up at 20 degrees before tdc?
If you engine timing is set right it doesn't matter where you crank it from initially.

·
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
its not bad if you dont do it, it is something that needs to be done right cause if its not your pistons and valves are going to be friends. as long as its done right is all that matters. i made this DIY for people that may want to know how its done and for people who are able to do this to se how i did it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
well your engine is not timed right yes you will wreck stuff, we have interferance engines so yes it will tear stuff up if its not done right.

and as for valves no you do not need any machine work if you get the standard size valves. but when i had my head off i had the valves, springs and retainers installed at a machine shop just incase it needed anything. i didnt need anything but i did that just incase tho.
i thought we had non-interferance engines, cause when my timing belt snapped in my cressida (last updated 5M-GE engine) nothing happen besides my RPMs droped and i rolled to a stop and i was gunning( at WOT) it in the middle of it ;-) and everybody i asked in the past thats builds these motor on the regulary said the same thing about it being non-interferance. I mean think about it we use belts not chains, wouldnt one consider the use of a timing chain a inferance. Chain dont snap like belts do.

·
Registered
474 Posts
All Honda motors are interference motors and they all use timing belts.

ok your right about that, but Honda's run higher compression ratios and valve clearance to the piston is really close so if a belt breaks. sha bam! so does the valve or anything else. Toyota's have more clearance than Honda does so if a belt breaks nothing happens. like when my timing belt broke on my cressida (5M-GE straight six motor) nothing happen i just rolled to a stop towed the car home replaced the belt and it was backup and running fine ;-)

doen't mean are motors are interferance engines. i just know that the J and M motors aren't interfrance.

·
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
our 2JZ-GE engines are interferance motors trust me. the only motors from toyota that i know are non-interferance are the 5S-FE and 3S-FE. You snap a belt on the 2JZ and your going to be buying alot of stuff for your engine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I often see pictures of cars without the cover over the cam gears...is it better to keep it on? I figure it may just be taken off for image purposes.. But it looks good so I would prefer to keep it off. I just ordered a Greddy Cam Gear in blue/silver and just waiting for it to get here so I can install it.

·
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
keep the cover on, its there to stop debris from getting at your timing belt. the last thing you want to do is replace your engine because a rock tore your timing belt since you left that cover off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks. I figured that would probably be the smart thing to do, lol. Maybe I'll just have to have a photoshoot before I cover it back up after the install...I suppose I could also just take it off sometime too..would it be a wise decision to change my timing belt simultaneously, since it's already open and there? I just hit 77k miles and it has not yet been changed.

·
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
well since our cars really come alive with boost its not much but way better then stock. I would like to say im putting about 215 to the wheels

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Toyota 3S-GTE is also non-interference.

Just on the tuning of the cam gear:
How do I set the cam gear? The intake is all apart and I want to know if I need to pull the valve cover to turn the cam or can I turn it elsewhere?
Also to confirm, HKS cam gear so two ticks = 4* right?

·
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The Toyota 3S-GTE is also non-interference.

Just on the tuning of the cam gear:
How do I set the cam gear? The intake is all apart and I want to know if I need to pull the valve cover to turn the cam or can I turn it elsewhere?
Also to confirm, HKS cam gear so two ticks = 4* right?
Well not matter what a NA 2JZ-GE engine will be an INTERFERENCE engine. Well the best way to turn the intake cam is by the camshaft itself. It is not a good idea to turn the cam over when the timing belt is not on either. Doing so can bend valves and wreck the valve face and its possible to damage the piston. SO your best bet to turn the intake cam is to either keep the timing belt on and turn it by the crank pully bult OR remove the timing belt and turn the crank a little and then the intake cam a little and keepdo that over and over. This is assuming the exhaust camshaft is out. All in all it is not the best idea to turn the camshaf over using just the 10mm alen bolt holding the VVT-i cam gear to the camshaft. I am not sure if you know this but DO NOT EVER DISASSEMBLE THE VVT-i CAM GEAR!!! Once it is taken apart it is junk and you will need to buy a new one. And I think on the HKS exhaust cam gear eith tick is 2 degree's i could be wrong. I think it was talked about at point in this thread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went in loosened the three screws on the HKS. Then with an arm to hold the t-belt from moving, I used a 17mm wrench and turned the ext. cam two ticks towards the Retard.
Is this right?

41 - 60 of 120 Posts