Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to take some time off my tail lights so i decided to finally paint my calipers. It turned out very well, and i'm very happy with the finally product. I used the G2 caliper paint kit, the MotoGFX decals, and duplicolor clear coat.

I always like it when others post DIYs, so now its my turn (i've done it in the past as well).

Here's my kit.
The G2 Kit comes with:
High temp paint
Small bottle of reactant
Brake cleaner
Paint brush
Mixing stick
Instructions

Purchased separely:
Duplic-Color Engine Enamel Clear Coat
MotoGFX Curved Silver Caliper Decals.

Jack up car

Take a last look at your calipers before they become refreshed

Take wheel off

Spray calipers with brake cleaner, use lots of it

Sand down calipers until they are a bit cleaner (the surface can still be a little textured, i used scotchbrite)

Mix all the reactant into paint solution. Mix for a good minute.

Apply one thin coat on all viewable surface of the rotor. If it helps, take off the top bolt on the caliper so you can fold it down. Make sure you get everything visable, the back part isn't so important. After you have covered the entire caliper, go back and apply another thicker layer.

Wait until it cures (at least 3 hours)

Mask off all surfaces that are not painted.

Cut caliper sticker as shown.

Carefully apply decal onto caliper. Becareful as decal will instantly bond to caliper. Use your nail to make sure the decal is adhering.

Remove backing.

Once the decal is in place, shake the clear coat for 1 minute. apply 3-4 light coats of clear coat. Make sure to give at least 10 minutes to dry between coats. It's best to go around to each corner and wait a couple minutes before making your next round.

Peel off all masking tape and newpaper. Wait at least 1 hr before re-installing wheel. It's best if you don't drive your car for another 18 hours to make sure that the paint is completely cured. (g2 said to wait 24 hours after painting, but you've already applied cure coat to help protect it's surface).

Finished product

notes:
*Make sure that you have enough time to let the paint cure before attempting this project.

*You're going to have all four wheels off, so make sure you have 4 jackstands.

*When painting, make sure you mask off any hoses or bolts. I even took off my pads so i can paint harder to reach surfaces.

*Once the reactant is mixed, you have only 4 hours to paint the calipers. It will take 3 hours to dry, and another 21 hours to competely cure.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
nice writeup. have some rep

edit: you must spread some rep...yada yada yada

Reactions: aschueler

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
great writ up. rep for a informative member!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
VERY nice and detailed writeup +REP! I'll be painting my calipers this weekend as well , is it possible to apply clearcoat while the calipers are still attached? and which brand clearcoat do you recommend?

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Very nice info! Matt, we need to pay attention to this! ^^^

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what did you use to paint the calipers in the first place. Did you do just one thin coat, or apply several thin coats. If you do it right, it should be even more shiny when you spray the clear coat. The main reason i sprayed the clear coat is to protect the decals. With 3-4 layers of clear coat, the decals are flush with the caliper. (instead of raised letters). Plus, many times brake cleaners will eat up paints, so having the clear coat will make sure the finish is there to last.

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
You did an awesome job. Now use the remainder of the paint to eliminate the ring of rust on the inside diameter of your rotor and paint your hubs black for a real clean look. Super! :approve: +rep

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
most clear coats in a spray can are not UV and cleaner safe, So later when doing a brake job be sure to watch out for the fluids when cleaning or flushing.

Brake fluid will eat paints.

D

ps nice job

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have always used the engine paint

·
Registered
367 Posts
damn, nice writeup!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice write up lilboi. Can you give us the price and location on whre to buy all the things you bought please? You get +rep from me, since I plan to pursue this nice modification. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can purchase the caliper paints from any of these retailers. The price constantly change so you may want to shop around and see who has the best deal at the moment:
G2 - Find an on-line retailer of fine G2 USA Products.

The decals were purchased from MotoGFX. I decided to go with the curved letters which conforms to the decals much better.
MotoGFX - Quality Custom Vinyl Works

The clear coat was purchased from Kragen, but i'm sure you can find them almost anywhere. Look in your kitchen cabinate for an old scotchbrite pad.

Happy modding!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please done make me send you negative rep. I just posted where I got all the supplies right above your post.

·
Registered
280 Posts
helpful with lots of pics. im gonna use this write up to do mine soon. +rep

1 - 20 of 119 Posts