Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen anyone post pics regarding their do-it-yourself black pearl emblems, and I've been getting some private messages about it, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it.

Although my car is hella-dirty, you'll get the idea. I think they turned out very well. I bought Testors brand black pearl and high gloss clear coat:
http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1420
http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1421

They are a little darker than the regular black pearl emblems. I did apply too much paint. I think with 2 light coats of the black pearl and 1 of clear coat you can get perfect results.

My front 'L' has chipped a little bit (rocks I suppose). I have been able to touch it up with some of the black pearl spray on a brush. It still looks very good.

I like the darker emblems a lot. If you try it, send me pics!
And no, even though their are campers in the background of one of my pics, I don't live in a trailer park.

·
Registered
278 Posts
looks very nice.. i'd do it to my car but my car is black so i don't really want it to blend in even though it makes it look really clean!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Do you think Lexus would care if my car was leased and I painted the emblems??

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You removed them and re-applied the emblems with new 3m tape? original 3m tape? If new, how'd you get it on so perfectly?

I wanna do this, screw 180 bucks from the dealer....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used clear 3m mounting tape. I cut off very small sections of the tape and applied it all over the back of the emblems. It worked very well.

Make sure you mark the location of the emblems on the back of the car with masking tape so you know where to put them back on when you are done painting!

If you guys do it, post some pics!

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I know I'm bumping a wicked old thread, but I got the paint and have a question. Am I going to need to prep the surface of the emblems?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts