Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, here is a quick pictorial I made. I didnt do the part where I take off the base so feel free to add on. Pics should be self explanitory...

Thankx for the starting instruction Josh, here's the continuation.

Remove the side rear panel by just pulling on it.

Once everything is removed, you can pull the headliner down a bit so that you can have access to your antenna base.

Remove the two bolts as seen here.

Unplug the two wires seen here. One is the power and the other is just the antenna.

Remove the entire base from the roof.

Once antenna base is removed, these are the holes you will see and that's how you remove the antenna base.

Installing shark fin antenna:

Place the antenna in the hole. I also used electrical tape to cover up the two other holes. One on top and one on bottom of each hole.

Once in, screw the bolt on and plug the two wires back in. In order to get the power wire, I had to cut it off the OEM antenna base and solder it onto the new one. After that, put everything back together and you're done.

Finish pics:

·
Latex salesman
5,625 Posts
Not bad but would look much better if you painted it to match the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I am going to paint it this sunday, just installed it as a test fit to see if the curve fit correctly and everything. But will post pics of it painted on sunday.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I always thought about doing something like that...I think deejaysyke has the same thing too...but, unfortunately, I think his is starting to peel off! Lol...have you done anything new to the ride yet? And i think that I'll be posting a new thread about the next meet we'll have here in Sac too...maybe sometime this month or next month..keep you posted.

·
Registered
860 Posts
thats funny cause i was just thinking to myself yesterday i might want one. where did you get it from and how much was it? looks good just paint it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, I got it off ebay. Just had to cut the power wire from our oem base and solder it onto theirs and it's plug and play. As far as deejaysyke, I believe his is not a real antenna. It's just a dummy to cover up the hole on the roof. I purchased it for 35 shipped. And yes i'm painting the antenna, will post new pics painted on sunday with instructions on how to remove oem antenna base for those who doesn't know how.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Not bad. Definitely needs to be painted, which you said you were going to do.

Anyone else curious to see when it would look like in the middle of the trunk? :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
From what ebay store did you buy this?.. Can you post the link?

·
Registered
911 Posts
From what ebay store did you buy this?.. Can you post the link?
Search "sharkfin antenna" and they'll come up.

The tightest one I saw could be ordered pre-painted with your own color code, and it also screwed into the existing base, so I assume it had at least some reception.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Search "sharkfin antenna" and they'll come up.

The tightest one I saw could be ordered pre-painted with your own color code, and it also screwed into the existing base, so I assume it had at least some reception.
They are like $80 and it's just a shell that covers over your antenna base, but you're right they do paint it to your color. As far as where I got mine from, it's here Functional AM-FM Shark Fin Antenna,-Can be painted -New - eBay (item 110235752075 end time Mar-24-08 02:55:48 PDT) . I think the gen 2 ones are too curved, but it might work cause they do bend a little. So when you tighten the bolt, it'll just make it a little more straight and give it a better fit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
911 Posts
They are like $80 and it's just a shell that covers over your antenna base, but you're right they do paint it to your color. As far as where I got mine from, it's here Functional AM-FM Shark Fin Antenna,-Can be painted -New - eBay (item 110235752075 end time Mar-24-08 02:55:48 PDT) . I think the gen 2 ones are too curved, but it might work cause they do bend a little. So when you tighten the bolt, it'll just make it a little more straight and give it a better fit.

So you've seen the one I'm talkin'bout...

Does yours have the antenna plug that screws into the base where the OE antenna goes, or does it just stick over it and not plug into anything?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine's a full replacement. I have to remove the entire base and put this one on. Personally, I think these have better receptions. They are made specifically for bmw oem replacement. At least that's what the guy told me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts