Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm the first post in your new forum! I recently got a CEL with a trouble code P0430 (catalytic converter bank 2 below threshold). The car's been running completely normally and I've had none of the common bad cat symptoms (odd smells, performance issues, excess heat, rattling, etc). I was planning on replacing my B2S2 oxygen sensor first, but would love to get the input from a dealership. What do you guys usually see as the most common cause of this trouble code?

·
Registered
45 Posts
90% of our cars with this code need a catalytic converter. A quick road test with the scan tool will determine if a catalytic converter is needed.

Hope that helps. If your car's below 100k miles, bring her into the dealership asap.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90% of our cars with this code need a catalytic converter. A quick road test with the scan tool will determine if a catalytic converter is needed.

Hope that helps. If your car's below 100k miles, bring her into the dealership asap.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I crossed 100k like 2-3 weeks ago right before my CEL came on, (I'm probably ~500 miles past it now). I just made a post about this in the roadside assistance forum, but as an update, I changed my oil this weekend and was feeling around underneath the car. I felt some puffs of air coming out of what looked like its my cat (from what I could see). I could feel them basically coming out from between the header pipe and the outer metal casing of the cat. I tried to point to it with the big red arrow in the picture below.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yea like lexusofwatertown said, if you got a scan tool, you can see if the cats are clogged or not.if you dont have a scan tool that reads live data you can take it to your local muffler shop and have them check it out... i got a shop down here that checks my cars for free... GL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any updated info on this? My car just failed inspection with a P0430 code.

I don't have a voltmeter or scan tool to check o2 voltages to see if it's the o2 sensor or a bad cat. I do have a bad gas smell comin from the car after I let off the gas, so I am assuming the cat is clogged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I kept getting this code with my 02 with 132k miles. I had a crappy intake on the car and put the factory one back on, the CEL went away. The light was never on before the intake and hasn't come back on since.... Well, it came on once when I used my AC.
I don't really want to replace the cats because it's ~$1200 for the new manifold from Lexus. The car still drove great.
From what my mechanic told me is that as long as that is all the light is on for, it is really only a smog issue and not really a necessity to replace it otherwise. (For me, I needed to remove my intake and go back to factory)
Hope it helps, and it's worth a shot to try it. Costs you nothing to swap to stock if you have an intake.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Yea, I would definitely check the O2 sensor wires with a voltmeter for millivolts, including heater circuits for ohms, but make sure you test em with a hot engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts