Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know if I'm retarded/blind (high possibilty) but I cannot find these rods with the clips. Where exactly are they? Near the top part of the door?
They are not in plain sight. Take a flashlight and look inside the door UP and towards the BACK of the door.

:)

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
The rods would run from the actuator toward the door handle. They're kind of hard to see. You may have to stick your hand in there and feel it out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, found it last night, was able to get the clips off, popped in a $5 motor from ebay and my locks are now working again!
Good job!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi all,

I need to do pass side, thinking about buying just the little motor. Does anyone have a recent link to Amazon/Ebay to a CORRECT motor for IS300 2004?

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
great DIY. Dealer Quoted me $200 for labor. No thanks...

Took me a while to figure out the clip situation but the video definitely helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know this is an old thread so hopefully someone can answer. So, I tried my best to follow all directions carefully. Just like everyone else I had the hardest time with the two rods. I got frustrated and just quit. Does anyone know where I can buy the two replacement clips for the rods? I want to go ahead and order it because I will more than likely break it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know this is an old thread so hopefully someone can answer. So, I tried my best to follow all directions carefully. Just like everyone else I had the hardest time with the two rods. I got frustrated and just quit. Does anyone know where I can buy the two replacement clips for the rods? I want to go ahead and order it because I will more than likely break it. Thanks in advance.
Used to be Sewell but it appears their online parts are closed.

Someone will probably chime in, sorry I can't. The clips will not break "IF" you press in the right direction (video) to unlatch them. If you just jack around with them, yeah they'll break. Use a small inspection mirror & small bright light to SEE first which way they go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So I just recently replaced my driver side lock actuator and used this thread to complete the job. One hazy area where it wasn't pictured or documented much (except for Foggys video) was the handle and lock rods and the little clips that need to be removed prior to sliding off the rods. I've taken the liberty to take those photos and will attempt to explain how to remove them as easy as possible.

1) In this first picture below, you'll see the outlined clips on both the gold rod (handle) and the silver rod (lock). Once you understand which direction they'll need to go, it's a simple nudging them with your flat head screwdriver. The arrows will explain it, however I recommend you take a look inside and get familiar with the area first. On the gold rod (top white clip), the clip itself needs to be moved towards the inside of the door panel (like towards your seat if the door was closed). On the silver rod (bottom white and red clips), it's easiest to pull the rod up as far as it can, and then remove the red clip first followed with the white clip... These will go upwards (or pretty much towards the front of the door/car, but the clip itself moves up).

2) Unfortunately, this only shows the direction of the clip that attaches to the gold rod (door handle rod). However you'll see the clip detached from the rod... Just to give you an idea. Also, if you look carefully, you'll see the white and red clips that attach to the silver rod (lock rod) below detached.

3) Once you remove the clip from the gold rod, the rod itself will be hard to remove by hand. I found it easiest to use pliers to sandwich the end of the rod and the piece that it's connected through (explained in Foggy's video and also illustrated below).

I hope this helps clear up some of the rod issues that everyone may have while getting into this project. It took me about 20-30 minutes on figuring out where and how the clips worked since there weren't any clear pictures or documentation over it. Hopefully this helps get you through it quicker than I did. Good luck all!

PS: Great write up btw OP!

61 - 80 of 82 Posts