Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is300_tinez2...thanks for the excellent tutorial. I was able to get a couple motors from Ebay for $5/pc and fixed the actuator...saving myself hundreds of bucks in parts and labor. The project took me more than 3 hours...spent most of the time dealing with the lock rods, modifying the motor to fit correctly, and figuring out the internal parts to link everything back up. Here are some tips I've learned in the process...

1. Remove the lock rods (drivers side) - First, remove the front rod (lift the white clip up so that you can get to the red retainer...then swing this off the rod; after that push the rod out horizontally towards the left side). The rear rod is harder to remove because the tip has a notch in order for the clip to lock on tightly and also because you have less room to work with. To remove the rear rod, you'll need to swing the white clip up to loosen its grip, then you might have to use ALOT of force to push the rod towards the rear. This step alone took me almost an hour. I ended up taking a long screw drive/hammer and punched the rod off the clip (though re-inserting it was much easier).

2. The replacement motor - most replacement motors are Mabuchi motors made for different applications, so it may not be a plug & play thing. My motor has a slightly longer drive that needed to be shortened w/ a dremel or drill (using a medium grinding bit). Also, the drive is completely round, so I had to grind it flat on one side to fit and secure the worm gear. Before putting the cover back on, test the worm gear with your fingers to make sure it's turning freely. If it's too snug, you may have more grinding to do. Note: if your replacement motor has a drive that protrudes on the back, you'll need to grind it flush.

Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think that's how they spell Asian.

None the less, it took me less than 2 hours to do this much in part to everyone else's struggles, including cleaning everything before re-assembly. Now I have to clean the rest of the interior so it matches

Yup, that little white clip under the pink one was indeed a PIA, but using a flat blade screw driver helped get that loose after three tries. During re-assembly, that rod actually went in it's hole all by itself. As for the big rod, once in it's hole, I stuffed a rolled up towel in the outside door handle so I wouldn't have to hold down the rod to snap the white clip back on. Should have done that during diss-assembly. I also suggest carefully removing the rubber from the lower window track and totally removing it. Have no fear, it goes back together just fine, just make sure you get the tab in it's proper location before installing the lower screw. The rubber just slips back in with no trouble.

Thank you all so much that contributed to this thread.
JimmyJ

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anyone have a vendor & part # for the driver door lock actuator, rather not mess with the motor.

Oh well, maybe I'll mess with the motor.

Does the actuator just unclip or unscrew to get it open?

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Clips. The clips are easy to break, and I and a few others have found the ebay motor replacement to not work well. Mine was too strong, and would rip the actuator housing a part. For another member, it would spasm out also.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Clips. The clips are easy to break, and I and a few others have found the ebay motor replacement to not work well. Mine was too strong, and would rip the actuator housing a part. For another member, it would spasm out also.
Thanks,

any part # for the whole uniT

:)

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Rock auto is Standard Motor Products/Intermotor - not familiar with those brands.

Sewell is OEM????????????

Not sure is Sewell a dealer?

I'd take the oem if that's the case. Anyone know?

Thanks!
Yes, Sewell is a dealer based out of Dallas and is %100 OEM and is basically the same parts that was put on your car from the factory. Rockauto is a reputable third party that offers OEM and OE parts and are a vendor here as well. I've gone through both several times, really can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, Sewell is a dealer based out of Dallas and is %100 OEM and is basically the same parts that was put on your car from the factory. Rockauto is a reputable third party that offers OEM and OE parts and are a vendor here as well. I've gone through both several times, really can't go wrong either way.
Thanks,

Will shoot a video of the job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks,

Will shoot a video of the job.

Here is the video, I am going to try and play with the exposure to brighten up some of the under exposed sections.

If I need to clarify anything post a comment on the video or post here and I'll add notations to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well thank you very much for sharing this thread as it really makes me the nice things to have in.
Please make me suggestions and visit:
cheap car hire brisbane airport

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another great diy video foggy:approve:Good fix!
There is always a little "suspense" the first time you hit the button to see if it works.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know if I'm retarded/blind (high possibilty) but I cannot find these rods with the clips. Where exactly are they? Near the top part of the door?

41 - 60 of 82 Posts